Fuel Pump Access Door in floor of 2007-2014 models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines an 05 but it wasn’t that hard to drop the tank to swap pumps.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, you have :2cents:. I just would not do it. Stick to how it was designed to come out. I always believe in "work smart not hard" but the time swap does not seem to be that much and again, the floor was not designed to have a hole in it. I wonder how many are out there with holes in the floor that bought the rig without that being shared with them.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you have :2cents:. I just would not do it. Stick to how it was designed to come out. I always believe in "work smart not hard" but the time swap does not seem to be that much and again, the floor was not designed to have a hole in it. I wonder how many are out there with holes in the floor that bought the rig without that being shared with them.
No, it wasn't designed to have a hole in the floor but, this is a full framed vehicle. I wouldn't be worried about structure, the only thing that may bother me would be fumes.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Its probably not a huge time/labor saver the first time you have to swap a fuel pump... but if you had to ever change it again the time/labor savings would be huge.

If you do it, do it right and make sure its sealed up really well... as mentioned, it's a body on frame vehicle, not a unibody, so structural integrity wont be an issue.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have to agree with @iamdub and @02Lightning on this. Having had to drop the tank on my ‘07 to replace the pump, when I look at how long it took to drop the tank and reinstall it, I don’t think I could have removed the stuff on the interior, measures out and cut the hole and then put everything back together any quicker.

One thing I was able to do when I dropped the tank was flush it out and get any debris that had built up over time out of the tank. On top of that, I didn’t risk spilling fuel inside my vehicle and having to smell gas for a while after that.

Functionally, yes, cutting the floor can be done successfully and neatly with out any long term ramifications. I just don’t see it really being that much easier or better IMO. At the end of the day, it’s the owners prerogative.

It may take a bit of time to do the mod, if you have to do it twice it paid it self off.

Can you drop the tank and access the fuel pump in less than 5 minutes? With the access door you can, on top of that you don't have to drain the gasoline.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may take a bit of time to do the mod, if you have to do it twice it paid it self off.

Can you drop the tank and access the fuel pump in less than 5 minutes? With the access door you can, on top of that you don't have to drain the gasoline.

I will concede that the second time would be much faster. That being said, on my 2007, I had 300K on it when I traded it and only had to put one in and that was at 240K. That is the only fuel pump I have had go bad in any of my vehicles since I had to replace one on my 1976 Impala back in 1988. I’ll take my chances.

As I said, it’s the owners prerogative. If it works for you or others, that’s great and I think the advice that has been given on how to do it, should someone decide to do it, has been very well stated.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump was swapped due to a leak. Glad I didnt grind sparks right above it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love how fierce this debate gets whenever it pops up it never seizes to amaze me. If you do it right it is a great mod. And it saved my ass one winter when it was below freezing and mine took a shit and had to be replaced. I didn’t have to lay in the snow in my driveway fighting frozen, rusted fuel tank hardware. I had the mod researched and planned well ahead of time and even a section of floor cut out of a donor truck set aside to make an overlapping cover out of that would fit the floor perfectly, and could be sealed and bolted down. Been there, done it, and would do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10