Fuel Pump Access Door in floor of 2007-2014 models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldmistXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dropping the fuel tank to the replace fuel pump is not an easy job for one person in a driveway. There are several YouTube videos where people cut an access door into the floor of their pre-2007 Tahoe/ Yukon to reach and replace the fuel pump. Have not seen this done for the 2007-2014 models. It appears possible to do it. But before cutting into the floor, wanted to see if it is possible to do the same in this generation of the vehicle, and if anyone has actually done this for the 2007-2014 models. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropping the fuel tank to the replace fuel pump is not an easy job for one person in a driveway. There are several YouTube videos where people cut an access door into the floor of their pre-2007 Tahoe/ Yukon to reach and replace the fuel pump. Have not seen this done for the 2007-2014 models. It appears possible to do it. But before cutting into the floor, wanted to see if it is possible to do the same in this generation of the vehicle, and if anyone has actually done this for the 2007-2014 models. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a post about this topic form last July. Not sure why the photos aren't showing anymore.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2007-yukon-denali-fuel-pump-access-door.105575/

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I ran into this question on this forum years back. I would never cut a hole in floor. #1. possible to cut something you should not. #2. damages the integrity of the structure that can cause problems in an accident. They are built the way they are for a reason. IMO, don't cut a hole. But if you insist, have at it. Would you tell the next owner what you did?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's only an issue when it becomes an issue. I know several people here have done it and all seemed to turn out ok. IMO, I would never ever do it. If the vehicle is never sold after doing that, then the owner deals with any ramifications but if it does go to a different owner, it should be revealed that the hole was cut. If it was not revealed, I would be curious why it wasn't if it is no big deal. Lots of IF'S in this response.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

I did that modification 4 yrs ago and have had no problems, I dont recall the measurents but it was around a 8" square. I went to the junk yard and cut out a bigger square from another yukon and made a door out of it. Most people reuse the existing sheet metal, I didnt wanna take any changes of carbon monoxide sipping up thru the gaps. Best mod ever, I've replaced the fuel pump 2 times since.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you allow yourself to take this shortcut, what else will you cheat at in life? You gonna take the doors off your kitchen cabinets for easier access? Maybe cut holes in the backs of your pants and underwear?

All jackassery aside, I don't see it being a problem if you do it properly. The way you access the fuel pump on millions of popular cars (Camry, Accord, etc.) is by removing the rear seat bottom. Cut it cleanly, prime and paint the metal and cover it back with something that will make a tight seal. If it were mine, I'd do like Ivan or add metal to the cut out piece either by welding or panel bonding adhesive. Use a thin, adhesive-backed rubber foam weather seal and fasteners of your choice.

But, is all of this still easier than dropping the tank?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really that much more time consuming to just drop the tank? I mean there's nothing else you have to drop right? I would be more worried about cutting too deep, and cutting some fitting or wiring that requires the whole fuel system or wiring harness to be replaced.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with @iamdub and @02Lightning on this. Having had to drop the tank on my ‘07 to replace the pump, when I look at how long it took to drop the tank and reinstall it, I don’t think I could have removed the stuff on the interior, measures out and cut the hole and then put everything back together any quicker.

One thing I was able to do when I dropped the tank was flush it out and get any debris that had built up over time out of the tank. On top of that, I didn’t risk spilling fuel inside my vehicle and having to smell gas for a while after that.

Functionally, yes, cutting the floor can be done successfully and neatly with out any long term ramifications. I just don’t see it really being that much easier or better IMO. At the end of the day, it’s the owners prerogative.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645