Fuel Pump Access Door in floor of 2007-2014 models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knowing that "access" doors exist on other vehicles for the fuel pump, the concept of adding an access door itself doesn't bother me. The absence of one originally may be simply a cost savings measure.

That said, I'd have to agree that draining and dropping the tank probably takes less time than to strip the interior, carefully cut through the floor, cut a new larger patch from a junkyard Tahoe, drill, prime, and install the patch. The patch should have been sealed with a butyl sealant as well to prevent any exhaust vapors from entering the vehicle. Also, this job is likely to be done only once in the lifetime of the vehicle.

I believe these tanks are quite light once the fuel is removed.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The time it took you to do that could have had the tank dropped and back in...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This mod could be a lifesaver if your pump failed far away from home like a road trip or camping trip or even during a blizzard.

My reasoning about why I do not agree with the access is documented and does have to do with physical harm.

Kylem40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here are photos showing the location of a DIY access hatch for 2007 Yukon XL fuel pump. Its basically the same location as in the pre-2007 generation. Used a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel. Was super easy. Yes it created sparks, but there was zero issue with the sparks igniting gasoline. This was MUCH easier and faster than dropping the fuel tank and havingView attachment 233668 to disconnect all of the hoses and vent lines. View attachment 233669 View attachment 233670
My 07 is a SLT hope its the same. I would imagine so. Thank you for posting this. I am about to do this. I know this post is old i just wanted to thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts