Fuel Pump Access Door in floor of 2007-2014 models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Let me ask you this. If you took your truck to a shop and paid to have the fuel pump replaced and they cut a hole in your floor rather than drop the tank, would you absolutely flip your s***? Do the job right or don’t do it at all.

My feelings exactly. I would feel the same way after buying one and not having the hole in the floor shared with me and then finding out later. I would bet that less than 10% of rigs sold with the hole in the floor are ever explained to the new buyer.

OP
OP
G

GoldmistXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I love how fierce this debate gets whenever it pops up it never seizes to amaze me. If you do it right it is a great mod. And it saved my ass one winter when it was below freezing and mine took a shit and had to be replaced. I didn’t have to lay in the snow in my driveway fighting frozen, rusted fuel tank hardware. I had the mod researched and planned well ahead of time and even a section of floor cut out of a donor truck set aside to make an overlapping cover out of that would fit the floor perfectly, and could be sealed and bolted down. Been there, done it, and would do it again.

Do you have a photo or two you could share showing where you cut the access panel. Wouls really appreciate it. Thanks!

OP
OP
G

GoldmistXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me ask you this. If you took your truck to a shop and paid to have the fuel pump replaced and they cut a hole in your floor rather than drop the tank, would you absolutely flip your s***? Do the job right or don’t do it at all.

Actually, I would prefer it if they cut an access panel. That way if it ever needed to be replaced again, it would be fast, easy, and convenient. An access panel will not in any way effect the structural integrity of the vehicle (its a full frame, not unibody), and no fumes will enter the cabin if the panel is sealed properly. Many cars come with an access door from the factory.

machadosl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is one thing I plan to do someday in my 2004 Suburban, the problem is to know the exact place to cut.
For two times I got a in a bad situation when the fuel pump failed, one in a road in the middle of nowhere and the other in a hill of a street that only allowed one car.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
GOLDMISTXL, You really dont want to cut the hole in the wrong place and butcher your vehicle< soooooooooooooo you should drop the tank so you can see exactly where to cut the hole, I would use a dotco and make a "perfect factory appearance cut". hook all the lines back up, reinstall the tank,filler and vent tubes, lower the vehicle, open the passenger rear door and remove the necessary interior parts/carpet and than replace the fuel pump through the whole in the floor. LOL!!!! Hey just do it the normal way and dont let your brain talk you out of it, the best advice i have is to wear goggles underneath and a "du rag" to keep the dirt at bay. You will be done in 3 hrs.

OP
OP
G

GoldmistXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is one thing I plan to do someday in my 2004 Suburban, the problem is to know the exact place to cut.
For two times I got a in a bad situation when the fuel pump failed, one in a road in the middle of nowhere and the other in a hill of a street that only allowed one car.

Look here for video showing the right way to do it:

Wish I could find this for 2007 - 2014 models

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Look here for video showing the right way to do it:

Wish I could find this for 2007 - 2014 models

Take a drill with a hole saw to the junk yard and start drilling holes on one of those suv's, once you see where the center of the fuel pump is, take measuments and start cutting away on your suv.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a drill with a hole saw to the junk yard and start drilling holes on one of those suv's, once you see where the center of the fuel pump is take measuments and start cutting away on your suv.

And also don't forget to make it big enough and shaped to allow access to the hose disconnects and wiring disconnects, lock ring removal, avoiding any under carriage cutting mishaps like hitting the tank or fuel lines, brake lines, under floor support brackets or wiring, etc... plus lifting it out without spilling fuel all over the floor. Beings as they seem to appear to hold quite a bit of fuel in their sump. Plus any type of rotation or clearance issues needed to massage it out of place. Keep a shop vac handy to vacuum any dirt and debris before cracking it open. A way to cover the mounting hole to help prevent fumes to escape from the tank during the transplant. Open all doors and hatches for extra venting and try to prevent build up of fumes. Plus once all that is done find a donor floor piece bigger than the hole you perfectly masterminded to fit over with enough flange to seal and bolt back down once the task is done. Or McGuyver it another way smartly. Plus don't forget the pics and video and detailed instructions while you are at it.

Hulk97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In all these posts i have not seen any mention of cleaning the tank. cutting a hole in the floor means replacing the pump with out cleaning the tank out. I've replaced the pump on my Tahoe and doing it right means cleaning the tank. My tank is plastic and not too hard to handle but still would not cut a hole in the floor for a job you may do once or twice in the lifetime of the vehicle. if the engineers that designed it thought it would have been a good or safe idea they would have put it in there in the first place. the potential to have gas in the cabin is enough to make me rethink a hole in the floor. take your time and enjoy the work you do on your truck. look under it once the tank is down. you may find something else that needs attention.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In all these posts i have not seen any mention of cleaning the tank. cutting a hole in the floor means replacing the pump with out cleaning the tank out. I've replaced the pump on my Tahoe and doing it right means cleaning the tank. My tank is plastic and not too hard to handle but still would not cut a hole in the floor for a job you may do once or twice in the lifetime of the vehicle. if the engineers that designed it thought it would have been a good or safe idea they would have put it in there in the first place. the potential to have gas in the cabin is enough to make me rethink a hole in the floor. take your time and enjoy the work you do on your truck. look under it once the tank is down. you may find something else that needs attention.

I have agreed with this approach all thru this post and other posts like it on this forum. No hole was designed and should not be cut to provide a short cut access. IMO. Do what you want to your rig but I know that only a very very few ever tell the next owner about the hole in the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu