Fuel pressure issue? Someone chime in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 tahoe 5.3 flex. Changed fuel pump out about a year ago. Twice first one had bad check valve. Anyway I was bored today an put pressure gauge on to check psi. Well every video I see they pull fuel pump relay let it run out then hit Schrader with screw driver an relieve pressure. Well mine won’t stop. When I hit Schrader with screw driver it won’t stop coming out til I stop. No fuel at vacumn line to fpr. Also when running fuel pressure jumps up when I pull vacuum line to fpr so I’m guessing it’s ok. Anyone else ever seen this or is this normal ?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No need to relieve the pressure to test it. Just use a gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Key on, engine off, and that's how it's measured. I don't have the Flex specs handy but they're a little lower than non-Flex. I can find them if you need them, they're in an older post.

I don't believe you can get an OE fuel pump for these, but you should be able to get an AC Delco Pro / Gold version, which is what I have put in mine. ACDELCO MU2294 {#19337978} for Flex.

What brand of pumps are you using?

EDIT: PSI specs in this thread: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/another-p0300-thread.128094/post-1591935

Last edited:
OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I know the specs. And I know how to connect to fuel rail done did all that. I just hate how it sprays out. An like I said all the videos I watched they hit the valve an it sprays an stops. Mine don’t it will keep dumping. My fuel spec was in pressure. It’s 48 to 54. Mine was about 50. I used a o Reilly’s pump can’t remember what brand.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, you're starting the vehicle and then pulling the FP relay? The truck then dies and you attempt to relieve the pressure but it won't stop dumping fuel?
Lol yes. How else would I run it out. I’ve built my Tahoe from ground up. I know there a lot of dumb ppl out there that do dumb stuff. But I was Jw if there was a issue or if it was normal. Yes I run it out. Then try to crank a few times an when I hit Schrader it won’t stop. Just keeps pumping out gas. That normal?

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 tahoe 5.3 flex. Changed fuel pump out about a year ago. Twice first one had bad check valve. Anyway I was bored today an put pressure gauge on to check psi. Well every video I see they pull fuel pump relay let it run out then hit Schrader with screw driver an relieve pressure. Well mine won’t stop. When I hit Schrader with screw driver it won’t stop coming out til I stop. No fuel at vacumn line to fpr. Also when running fuel pressure jumps up when I pull vacuum line to fpr so I’m guessing it’s ok. Anyone else ever seen this or is this normal ?
Do as fless suggested.......put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve, that's all that's important.

Attachments

• Tahoe-1.png
    Tahoe-1.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 1

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol yes. How else would I run it out. I’ve built my Tahoe from ground up. I know there a lot of dumb ppl out there that do dumb stuff. But I was Jw if there was a issue or if it was normal. Yes I run it out. Then try to crank a few times an when I hit Schrader it won’t stop. Just keeps pumping out gas. That normal?
I was just clarifying, because I'm dumb and didn't fully understand what "run it out" meant.

My 2004 flex will spill out a little after pulling the FP relay and running it out, but it's not much and a single paper towel is enough to catch it. Based on that, I do not think your situation is normal.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I put Fuel pump tester drain hose in small bucket and could not stop the siphon till closed drain and air gapped hose. If thats what I wanted it would never work- ask Murphy.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do as fless suggested.......put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve, that's all that's important.
Yes I done that lol. I got my pressure reading. It read in spec. Was just a simple question of why the pressure does not bleed off or relieve. Was wondering if that’s some kind of issue with something else like something to do with any kind of evap stuff or anything Like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17