Front electronic shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New owner to a 2007 Tahoe ltz with z55. The ride is flat awful. Zero absorption of any roughness on the road.

The compressor is not running first of all and I’ve ordered another one. I’ve checked fuses as well. That looks straight forward on doing that but I’m clueless on this front electronic shock thing.

How can I check that juice is going to them? This thing rides sooo bad you’d have to be in it to believe it. I mean I would think I’d be getting some help from the springs if the shocks were dead but doesn’t feel like it.

It’s sitting down so hard it shimmies around when you’re driving. Any help is appreciated. Like I say I think the compressor to run the air shocks in the rear is understandable but I’m clueless on this front end.
Did I mention how bad it is riding? Guess I got the point across.
Thanks

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you know about the maintenance history on your Tahoe? There is a good chance your shocks are all used up. Question is, what do you have currently on your Tahoe.

Here is a good thread discussing the airride autolevel system:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/what-front-struts-have-i-got.112176/#post-1345766

There is a good chance that a previous owner replaced the Z55 suspension components with regular shocks to save money.

Do remember hearing the compressor ever run since you’ve owned it?

If you look at the top of your front shocks, do you see a wire plugged into it at the top?

Do your rear shocks look like they have an air bladder at the top with air lines running to them?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor should come on for about 5 seconds when you turn the key to ON. Check the system over to see why the compressor failed. Could just be old or a hole or leak in one of the shocks or line caused the pump to run non stop.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off- do you have any suspension or Stabilitrak system warning lights on?

In a place where it's safe to experiment (no or very minimal traffic, no chance of abrupt maneuvers, etc.) that has some sharp bumps, unplug the wires from the shocks. The fronts will have them on the top in the center, the rears will be on the back sides of the bodies. Ignore the air lines for now but take note if the air bladders are torn (likely, they are).

Go for a slow test drive to see if the ride is improved. Don't make any sudden turns with the wheel because your Tahoe may feel very top-heavy and can get out of control. You only need to test the bump/shock absorption in a straight line drive.

If it's better, then your shocks are really worn and the computer has them firmed up to compensate.

You can either replace all with non electronic/non-air shocks and struts, or get air shocks with no electronic damping or get all direct OEM replacement parts and restore all systems.

OP
OP
Don S

Don S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What do you know about the maintenance history on your Tahoe? There is a good chance your shocks are all used up. Question is, what do you have currently on your Tahoe.

Here is a good thread discussing the airride autolevel system:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/what-front-struts-have-i-got.112176/#post-1345766

There is a good chance that a previous owner replaced the Z55 suspension components with regular shocks to save money.

Do remember hearing the compressor ever run since you’ve owned it?

If you look at the top of your front shocks, do you see a wire plugged into it at the top?

Do your rear shocks look like they have an air bladder at the top with air lines running to them?

No history. Compressor doesn’t run. Fuses are good. Wire connectors attached to front shocks. Yes rear has airlines going to them. Glovebox says it is Z55.
Thanks I have C0660 code that exhaust valve is faulty in compressor. My new compressor came in mail today. Hope this fixes rear at least.

OP
OP
Don S

Don S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The compressor should come on for about 5 seconds when you turn the key to ON. Check the system over to see why the compressor failed. Could just be old or a hole or leak in one of the shocks or line caused the pump to run non stop.

Compressor never comes on. I have C0660 code and suspension message on dash. Fuses are good New compressor came in mail today. 0660 code is exhaust valve bad in compressor.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No history. Compressor doesn’t run. Fuses are good. Wire connectors attached to front shocks. Yes rear has airlines going to them. Glovebox says it is Z55.
Thanks I have C0660 code that exhaust valve is faulty in compressor. My new compressor came in mail today. Hope this fixes rear at least.

Sounds like a good first step.

Beware that there is a possibility of getting a face full of crap depending on how much dirt and road grime has built up. It is actually a pretty straight forward job swapping compressors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevensavino