What front struts have I got?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4. I’ve got the Z55 air suspension, I know I’ve gotten the rear air springs replaced not too long before I bought the vehicle. I looked up under the front end though and the struts are orange! Is there any way from this picture I got to tell if the front end has the air struts deleted? I can still see the height sensor but I don’t know how to tell if its a normal shock or if its still an air shock up front. Thank you all in advance!

1452C4C0-5A87-40EA-AE18-90CE1C29AFCC.jpeg

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rears have a air bladder on the top of the shock, and the shock has a electronic valve that restricts or allows the shock fluid to firm up or soften the ride. There is a coil spring back there too. The front is a strut, consists of the coil spring and electronic valve shock like the rear has.

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
The rears have a air bladder on the top of the shock, and the shock has a electronic valve that restricts or allows the shock fluid to firm up or soften the ride. There is a coil spring back there too. The front is a strut, consists of the coil spring and electronic valve shock like the rear has.
I haven’t ever seen an orange one in front though and was wondering if there was a way to tell if it was still an air strut up front or if it has been deleted and changed back to a conventional strut in front

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like mike said on the very top of the front shock (under the hood) it will have a connector like this one, btw these are a major pia to find if you ever need to replace one, all they call it is a "genuine gm connector"

connector1.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t ever seen an orange one in front though and was wondering if there was a way to tell if it was still an air strut up front or if it has been deleted and changed back to a conventional strut in front
Color means nothing but z71’s have red struts(its red not orange just faded... just fyi)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4. I’ve got the Z55 air suspension, I know I’ve gotten the rear air springs replaced not too long before I bought the vehicle. I looked up under the front end though and the struts are orange! Is there any way from this picture I got to tell if the front end has the air struts deleted? I can still see the height sensor but I don’t know how to tell if its a normal shock or if its still an air shock up front. Thank you all in advance!

View attachment 224109

Allan, look at your RPO sheet and copy down the 6XX and 7XX codes.

Then plug your VIN in at the link and look up the shocks and struts and match the part number with your RPO codes in the description. You might get lucky and be able to have a sticker on the shock and spring that is still legible too with the part numbers.

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907