Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Fosscore, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Fosscore

Fosscore Full Access Member

Name:
    Michael
    Yessir. Always a win. Reminds me of my parents taking us on road trips as we always had Suburbans growing up.

Nice one man. I saw lots of teams up there for the holiday weekend. Disney Springs is crazy big. The last time I was there it was still Downtown Disney.

2. Fosscore

Name:
    Michael
    I took advantage of Cyber Monday at the same time as a new battery for the Tahoe and replaced the wipers. The paint was looking tired and the rubber was starting to dry rot. Doesn't take long in this heat and UV for anything to deteriorate rapidly. I couldn't justify $40 for the top of the line wipers, so I replaced them with the Champion same-as-OEM style blades for about $7 each on sale.

IMG_4147.jpg IMG_4148.jpg

swathdiver and Miami-Dade like this.
  3. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    Back to conventional, eh?

4. Fosscore

Name:
    Michael
    These have always been conventional. I wanted to change it up and even with the sale I almost did, but the Tahoe battery purchase won that battle this time.

At least they are new. Maybe next time.

HiHoeSilver likes this.
  5. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    With Rain-X you hardly need the wipers. In your case, I bet you use it more to wipe the salt off than because of rain. ;-)

Those are great wipers but only last a year or two at best in our climate.

6. Fosscore

Name:
    Michael
    Yes the windows are coated so the water flies off, but there is always the constant salt film or dew when I get the car port for the Tahoe (which is rare lol).

The last 3 road trips, we had rain and they just streaked.

So for $7 each for new wipers that will get crushed by the UV and now into the less rainy season, it seemed like a simple and easy maintenance item to cross off.

7. Fosscore

Name:
    Michael
    The wife call yesterday on the way home from work.

Wife: Where are you?
    Me: UPS dropping off a package.
    Wife: I just wanted to tell you before you got home so you could have time to think about it.
    Me: (crickets waiting for the damage report)
    Wife: blah blah blah...backing out of my space....blah blah blah
    Me: (crickets waiting for the damage report)
    Wife: This other car backed up and we touched. I don't know why my camera and sensors didn't go off.....blah blah blah
    Me: (crickets STILL waiting for the damage report)
    Wife: It doesn't look too bad, the paint is a little scratched, blah blah blah still not giving me the details if anything is actually broken. Nobody was hurt. It might not be as bad as when the mechanic backed into the pole last year and left a scratch.
    Me: (crickets wanting to get off the phone so I can go home and see what she has done)

Worse than she tried to explain, but not as bad as it could have been. Nothing I can do with the plastics and really only looks bad to me. Average Joe will never really notice.

Bumper cover still aligns perfectly. No damage to the chrome strip or bumper pad. No damage to the tail light. Just some superficial scratches which I might be able to buff out below the chrome strip. A small paint scratch where the bumper cover pushed under the tail light. A small crease on the corner where it looks like they touched and pushed the bumper cover in which also made a small crease/bend close to the where the bumper cover meets the bumper pad. The liftgate opens fine.

It sucks, but better than it could have been. And she usually backs into every space she parks in for that very reason. grrrr....

IMG_4280.jpg IMG_4286.jpg IMG_4287.jpg IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

Miami-Dade and erbear28 like this.
  8. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    You can warm that spot up with a heat gun and push on it with something flat, like a small flat piece of wood, and it'll take some of that bulge out. But be easy with the heat gun, you could burn the paint.

9. 07Burb

07Burb GM fan for life Staff Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Jacob
    Until recently my bumper cover looked very similar and it only got fixed because it was in the shop getting rust fixed anyway so we get a new bumper cover, painted it and threw it on. I left it like that for so long only because I KNOW that being the wife's DD it's going to go through some battles so I just gotta do the best I can and let the rest go to an extent. Overall, my wife does very well (we've had our rims for almost 3 years now and not a single curb rash **knock on wood**) but she does have her moments so I've given up a LONG time ago on keep the burb 100% perfect. :rofl: In fact, she's almost due to run into something again here real soon. I just hope it's something repairable LOL

10. Fosscore

Name:
    Michael
    Good points and well taken. Might just leave it alone. It sucks but better than taking a quarter panel hit or lucky it wasn't a larger truck into the back of the lift gate or tail lights. Just cosmetic at this point.

I can echo your comments. The wife has rocked it pretty well for 2 years. Just got caught with some other numb nut. I still remember her wanting a mid-size and now she wouldn't trade that long body. She loves it and other than not paying enough attention lolol she drives it very well and is conscious of where she is and mostly backs in to every spot. Now for the constant state of the interior...:think: