FIXED: Transmission Shifter Loose - Missing Lower Bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YD2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello ! Today is Oct 19, 2019, and a couple of days ago our 2007 Yukon Denali, just turned 200,700 mi (on our 2nd engine, that's another story), was stuck in our driveway. My wife had just parked it, and the shift lever indicator went from Drive to Neutral, whilst the lever itself just moved up and down, not engaging.

I took a look under the knee bolster area before looking under the vehicle (too lazy to jack it up just yet). The bushing looked fine. Looked under the vehicle, and the cable end that hooks to the transmission lever ws disconnected, and the bushing was gone.

After trying some Dorman-Help bushings, I almost went with the orange ones (14057), but called the dealer, and sure enough, as mentioned here, GM doesn't sell just the bushing. They do, however, sell the upper and lower cables. The lower one was $44, they had it in stock. Parts guy said the cables had been re-designed, and I'd have to replace both cables.

Well, I just bought the lower cable, and my wife and I removed the bushing, which had a little U-shaped piece on one side (don't know what the orig one looked like), just like the one on the upper end of the upper cable that is in the vehicle. You'll see it in the picture. I pressed it into the vehicle's lower cable hole. I then pressed together the cable end and the shifter bracket.

I watched from underneath as my wife went thru the gears. Seems like it's fixed. I could have bought both cables and replaced them both, having watched a few videos and read my Haynes manual, but even though it was essentially a $44 bushing, it was fixed.

I asked the Dealer parts place "surely you send stuff back, right? He said yes, sometimes, if something stays on the shelf too long, or a wrong part gets ordered. So I'm returning the cable to the dealer and they said they'd try to send it back so the GM parts building could add a new bushing and resell it. I hate to just throw it away.

Awfully ridiculous they don't sell just the bushing - it certainly exists separately.

Dave HTransShiftBushing-1.jpg TransShiftBushing-2.jpg

John ThreeSixteen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had this happen to my wife in our driveway. I fixed mine by taking off the attachment cable to transmission
arm (shown in first photo at top) and drilling a small hole in the end where the cable arm attaches. There is a small
area, looks like a nipple or zirk fitting, that I drilled then placed a washer behind a cotter pin which permanently
secures the cable bracket.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello ! Today is Oct 19, 2019, and a couple of days ago our 2007 Yukon Denali, just turned 200,700 mi (on our 2nd engine, that's another story), was stuck in our driveway. My wife had just parked it, and the shift lever indicator went from Drive to Neutral, whilst the lever itself just moved up and down, not engaging.

I took a look under the knee bolster area before looking under the vehicle (too lazy to jack it up just yet). The bushing looked fine. Looked under the vehicle, and the cable end that hooks to the transmission lever ws disconnected, and the bushing was gone.

After trying some Dorman-Help bushings, I almost went with the orange ones (14057), but called the dealer, and sure enough, as mentioned here, GM doesn't sell just the bushing. They do, however, sell the upper and lower cables. The lower one was $44, they had it in stock. Parts guy said the cables had been re-designed, and I'd have to replace both cables.

Well, I just bought the lower cable, and my wife and I removed the bushing, which had a little U-shaped piece on one side (don't know what the orig one looked like), just like the one on the upper end of the upper cable that is in the vehicle. You'll see it in the picture. I pressed it into the vehicle's lower cable hole. I then pressed together the cable end and the shifter bracket.

I watched from underneath as my wife went thru the gears. Seems like it's fixed. I could have bought both cables and replaced them both, having watched a few videos and read my Haynes manual, but even though it was essentially a $44 bushing, it was fixed.

I asked the Dealer parts place "surely you send stuff back, right? He said yes, sometimes, if something stays on the shelf too long, or a wrong part gets ordered. So I'm returning the cable to the dealer and they said they'd try to send it back so the GM parts building could add a new bushing and resell it. I hate to just throw it away.

Awfully ridiculous they don't sell just the bushing - it certainly exists separately.

Dave HView attachment 232818 View attachment 232819
I did the exact same thing. The bushing worked perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo