Transmission selector cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FITZALL T74498-1A $30 shipped in CA but ya it works been on there for a while now, I had already drilled it and put a cotter pin and washer so now it has both
THE DORMAN ONE SHOULD WORK AS WELL
fitzall.JPG

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The cable end on my 6L80 had been re-repaired at least 3x. The inexpensive bushing fix wasn’t an option.

Our Indi used the same half cable you mentioned. Paid about the same price as you because, locally, nobody else had it. Works great, no need to pull the forward section out that’s not broken and a PITA to fish through.

Anyone out there ever just do the bottom lower shift cable and has worked for them?

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you remove the plastic piece on the new linkage and installed it on the old one?
I warmed it up just a little with a heat gun, pulled it out and slid it in the old one. Literally took 2 minutes. Didn’t even jack the truck up.

lightflyer1

Reaction score
Just did this on a 2013. Dorman part for $12. Just scooted under there and installed it. You have to make sure to get the part to snap in fully when inserting it into the cable and also when putting it back on the lever. If it pops off you didn't install it correctly. Didn't have to jack it up either. Maybe 5 minutes to do as I had to struggle a little to get it to clip in properly. When it did you know it as it made a distinct click when inserted properly.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my 09 Tahoe. Bought the Gorman bushing kit from O'Reilly #14104. It does not hold the pull cable. The cable still pops off the lever nipple. I'm going to try #14073 next. It's a little different, has a snap ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the bottom shifter cable last summer but I haven’t installed it yet. Picture hanging wire has been holding up till I tackle this. Btw, I tried those inserts and they didn’t work. I must have been doing something wrong.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so 14104 was a complete waste of time and money. The bushing itself stays in the cable nice and firm and does not go anywhere but the hole is too big for the lever nipple and it pops off too easily.
14104.png

I went with 14073. It fit fairly snug on the tranny lever. Not sure it's going to actually stay on there, though. The snap ring just keeps the cable from sliding off. I may put a few washers in there so that the cable stays closer to the base. The further away it gets from that (and closer to the snap ring) the more likely that plastic is going to either bend or pop off. Says its not meant for Tahoe but it's a temp solution that hopefully lasts me a week.

14073.png

I've seen some better stuff online that I couldn't get today but I'm likely doing something different and more permanent when I get the stuff in the mail.

Last edited:

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fitzall, washer, cotter pin it's been like 3 years already
Yep, thanks! I did see the Fitzall #T74498-1A. Not sure if that is the one you used.

It looked the most promising of the bunch, but unfortunately it's not getting here until the 10th or so.

So you have to drill out the nipple on the shift lever?

T744898-1A.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10