2013 Tahoe Gear Shift Lever loose and will not go into gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a new one on me. Took the family on an evening drive to the local Ice Cream shop going through the drive through, the line was pretty long so I put the truck in park waiting for the line to move. I started to put it into drive and as I got to Reverse ( I could feel it go into reverse) the lever just dropped all the way to the drive position but the truck was still in reverse, could not get it out of reverse or back into park. I killed the engine ( mistake because I could not restart with it in Reverse) I am blocking the drive through line but luckily they could go around me. I knew it had to be something with the linkage from the steering column to the tranny but it was 97 out side and i did not want to jack with it. I called RoadSide Assist to come take me to the shop,( it was Sunday so I would have to just drop it at the shop ). The tow truck showed up pretty quick, I told him what had happened and he said "no Problem, I can fix it". He squezed under the truck and in less than two min came out and said you are good to go. He said he has been towing for 10 years and has fixed this issue many times. Any guesses ? The shifter cable connects to the tranny with a circlip and when the bushing gets worn the circlip just comes off. He put a paper clip on the end of the cable and bam I was on the way. I still did not want to jack with replacing the cable in the Houston heat so I had my trusted mechanic do the job the next day . $300.00 ouch !

2013 tahoe gear selector.jpeg2013 Tahoe shifter link.jpeg2013 Tahoe shifter linkage.jpeg2013 Tahoe shifter.jpeg

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushingfix.com

Dorman also has a replacement bushing kit.

Some people also drill a small hole through the stud and put a clevis pin or cotter pin through it.
Good to know for future reference, I was short on time to even do the research. I hope other members read your reply.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$30 FIX for others if you can wait for it to come in the mail
I put this one on about 2 years ago still working fine, tried a couple others they didn't last long
"fitzall" brand works with the 6l80
fitzall.JPG

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$30 FIX for others if you can wait for it to come in the mail
I put this one on about 2 years ago still working fine, tried a couple others they didn't last long
"fitzall" brand works with the 6l80
View attachment 401828
Thanks, for this ,hopefully I will not need it for a while. I was thankful that the tow truck driver had a temp fix that got me and my family home.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to replace the cable? I don't think so but I suppose I could be wrong otherwise I would have done that when mine broke
I shudda checked the Forum first, he replaced both cables , there are two from the tranny to the gear shift lever. I was in a time bind and did not have time to do my normal research. I hate being under the gun like that,

Reaction score
I'm having this issue now. Thankfully the bushing failed in the driveway. I replaced the bushing but the cable still pulls away from the shifter pulling the bushing with it. I'm going to let it sit over night to see if it settles. Is it normal for the cable to pull away like that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo