Transmission selector cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, my 14 Tahoe 6 speed trans linkage cable came loose from the plastic grommet, if you will. So I went to the dealership and bought part 20787608, the lower shift cable part, and the parts guy tells me I need to buy the the upper, too. I told him I’ll just take the bottom for now. He made a comment as I was leaving telling me that he’ll see me later when I realize I need the upper part.
Anyone out there ever just do the bottom lower shift cable and has worked for them?
Thanks,
Brian

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, my 14 Tahoe 6 speed trans linkage cable came loose from the plastic grommet, if you will. So I went to the dealership and bought part 20787608, the lower shift cable part, and the parts guy tells me I need to buy the the upper, too. I told him I’ll just take the bottom for now. He made a comment as I was leaving telling me that he’ll see me later when I realize I need the upper part.
Anyone out there ever just do the bottom lower shift cable and has worked for them?
Thanks,
Brian
I would have turned right around and returned that part and got it elsewhere fk that smart @ss.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Brian
I used the Dorman linkage repair kit from AutoZone on mine and it's been fine ever since.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately unless you’re going to modify the shift lever it’s the only way to buy it is the whole cable. You don’t need to buy the upper. I bought the lower cable and just swapped the little broken piece. Yes 35 bucks for a small plastic piece is a lot but it’s an easy quick fix.

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used the Dorman linkage repair kit from AutoZone on mine and it's been fine ever since.
I tried to make that kit work, it loosened at a drive thru and burnt my forearm on the exhaust attaching the cable. I’d show a pic but it’s nasty and got infected.

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately unless you’re going to modify the shift lever it’s the only way to buy it is the whole cable. You don’t need to buy the upper. I bought the lower cable and just swapped the little broken piece. Yes 35 bucks for a small plastic piece is a lot but it’s an easy quick fix.
How did you remove the plastic piece on the new linkage and installed it on the old one?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to make that kit work, it loosened at a drive thru and burnt my forearm on the exhaust attaching the cable. I’d show a pic but it’s nasty and got infected.
Sorry to hear that, man. That sucks.

Dunno why the different experience, but the only way I know to make a permanent fix is to drill the shaft that the cable attaches to, and use a small cotter pin and washer to hold it on.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, smart ass. I was going to tell him I bought it $30 cheaper online from the dealer website than the price he gave me yesterday over the phone. But just walked out.
Good man karma works too I firmly believe in that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz