Feels like something slips, but only at part throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
so did it shift correctly using manual mode?
The 3 times I was at a stop light and shifted into 1st, yes it left from a stop fine, but I wasn't on any hills, so that got me thinking about the hill start assist. I need to do more testing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my torque converter was going out, my symptoms were shuddering started out doing it occasionally at low speed maybe 25-35 mph just cruising, then it started to do it more often at higher speeds, then if I got on the pedal full throttle it started to slip on the 1-2 shift, if I drove it normal it worked fine you could not tell anything was wrong unless you felt the shuddering. Apparently the torque converters are a weak link on these 6l80's, the shop told me it's the most common problem. I knew mine was likely to go out before it did I had asked the shop how much to replace it like over a year ago and then never got around to it until now, had it upgraded with a billet torque converter and basically rebuilt with better parts, now it's back in the shop because the 3-4 shift wasn't working right but should have it back shortly. the 3-4 shift problem I was having sounds like what you are describing sort of, my rpm's would jump maybe 500-1000rpm when it slipped but otherwise drove fine.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my torque converter was going out, my symptoms were shuddering started out doing it occasionally at low speed maybe 25-35 mph just cruising, then it started to do it more often at higher speeds, then if I got on the pedal full throttle it started to slip on the 1-2 shift, if I drove it normal it worked fine you could not tell anything was wrong unless you felt the shuddering. Apparently the torque converters are a weak link on these 6l80's, the shop told me it's the most common problem. I knew mine was likely to go out before it did I had asked the shop how much to replace it like over a year ago and then never got around to it until now, had it upgraded with a billet torque converter and basically rebuilt with better parts, now it's back in the shop because the 3-4 shift wasn't working right but should have it back shortly. the 3-4 shift problem I was having sounds like what you are describing sort of, my rpm's would jump maybe 500-1000rpm when it slipped but otherwise drove fine.
Still don’t have it back this go-round?

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a way to disable the hill start assist, either by pulling a fuse or with the Tech2. Then I'd be able to tell for sure if it's that system that I'm feeling when I'm not expecting to.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still don’t have it back this go-round?
I just dropped it back off this morning, he said a couple days, they have to test the tecm to see if that is it, if not then they have to pull it and replace a piston in the drum
I had it for about 400 miles but didn't get on it because it was supposed to be relearning, seemed to be fine except the 3-4, it was hard to tell what was normal during the relearn and what wasn't.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a way to disable the hill start assist, either by pulling a fuse or with the Tech2. Then I'd be able to tell for sure if it's that system that I'm feeling when I'm not expecting to.

what year is yours?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

unless you are stopped then hill start assist has nothing to do with what you are describing
Hill Start Assist (HSA) Non‐hybrid vehicles with StabiliTrak have a Hill Start Assist (HSA) feature, which may be useful when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. After the driver completely stops and holds the vehicle in a complete standstill on a grade, HSA will be automatically activated. During the transition period between when the driver releases the brake pedal and starts to accelerate to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure for a maximum of two seconds to ensure that there is no rolling.The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two‐second window. If the vehicle is equipped with the Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system, HSA may also apply the trailer brakes. It will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse). There may be situations on minor hills (less than 5% grade) with a loaded vehicle or while pulling a trailer where HSA will not activate.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
unless you are stopped then hill start assist has nothing to do with what you are describing
Hill Start Assist (HSA) Non‐hybrid vehicles with StabiliTrak have a Hill Start Assist (HSA) feature, which may be useful when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. After the driver completely stops and holds the vehicle in a complete standstill on a grade, HSA will be automatically activated. During the transition period between when the driver releases the brake pedal and starts to accelerate to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure for a maximum of two seconds to ensure that there is no rolling.The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two‐second window. If the vehicle is equipped with the Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system, HSA may also apply the trailer brakes. It will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse). There may be situations on minor hills (less than 5% grade) with a loaded vehicle or while pulling a trailer where HSA will not activate.
What I'm experiencing is when starting from a stop, not while already moving and shifting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues