EXHAUST SETUP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProjectLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m upgrading to a BTR Stage 2 Truck cam in my 2011 Tahoe (5.3). The entire exhaust system on it is currently stock (has cats). Now I know I can run the cam with stock manifolds but will lose out on the full potential the cam has to offer unless I switch to headers. I have shorty headers in mind because this is a daily vehicle and not a race truck where long tubes would benefit in mid to high RPM’s. Shorty’s just seem like a better choice given it’s a daily driver and I won’t be balls to the wall redlining to benefit from long tubes. I understand when it comes to modding a vehicle there’s things you have to jeopardize to make it work. However this is my issue, If I put shorty headers on with my stock cats it will probably ruin them in no time. Which leaves me having to go high flow cats or at that point catless because if the stock cats aren’t on then it won’t pass inspection. How are you guys getting around inspections that are running headers? I know most will say just go catless but I’m trying to find a way or setup to make this thing pass inspection while still being able to run headers for the cam to benefit.

breds2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just pickup speed engineer long tube headers with a y pipe for around $500. I have a 6.2 Escalade and the consensus with that engine is that shorty headers are a waste as they flow the same as stock. I cant say if thats the same for 4.8/5.3 trucks but also, the long tubes wont hurt low end like you think especially if adding a cam. Youll need to tune the truck for the cam using HPtuners and you can tune out the 02 sensors or add 02 sensor bungs to get by without a check engine light if you decide to go without cats as it is much less money. I thought about adding a single magnaflow $100 high flow cat at the bottom of the y pipe after the collector just to keep the rasp/smell down so that could be an option too.

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@breds2k did you ever get this set up installed? I have a 2007 escalade 6.2 aswell. I want long tube headers but i will need cats as i need to pass nj state inspection. Will one magnaflow work or do i need 2? Also, is a tune really nessasery or can i get away with out a tune?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like the sound with cats, especially Magnaflow hf spun cats 59956.
They're very small and legal in all 50 states. I used them in MA and NC with zero issues.
You can cut them down to make them tiny if space is an issue.
This was one I made a few years ago fitting it up to a V-band, cut it down quite a bit to fit on a LT header.

As for LT headers, you can get them catted but, they'll run yah a mint that's for sure. I like Thorley Tri-Y headers but am not sure how popular they are on here. If you know anyone who can weld I'd grab a set of Thorleys and some Maggy cats and some 3" tubing and go to town with a Maggy **** it would sound good.

crownvic31,
You will need a tune, depending on your set up you can get a dual in single out or di/do muffler. Not sure how your system is set up.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 8

jeffbarnes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m upgrading to a BTR Stage 2 Truck cam in my 2011 Tahoe (5.3). The entire exhaust system on it is currently stock (has cats). Now I know I can run the cam with stock manifolds https://epicvin.com/license-plate-lookup/texas but will lose out on the full potential the cam has to offer unless I switch to headers. I have shorty headers in mind because this is a daily vehicle and not a race truck where long tubes would benefit in mid to high RPM’s. Shorty’s just seem like a better choice given it’s a daily driver and I won’t be balls to the wall redlining to benefit from long tubes. I understand when it comes to modding a vehicle there’s things you have to jeopardize to make it work. However this is my issue, If I put shorty headers on with my stock cats it will probably ruin them in no time. Which leaves me having to go high flow cats or at that point catless because if the stock cats aren’t on then it won’t pass inspection. How are you guys getting around inspections that are running headers? I know most will say just go catless but I’m trying to find a way or setup to make this thing pass inspection while still being able to run headers for the cam to benefit.

Heve you tried to pickup speed engineer long tube headers?

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
I personally like the sound with cats, especially Magnaflow hf spun cats 59956.
They're very small and legal in all 50 states. I used them in MA and NC with zero issues.

It is important to note that EPA (Federal) compliant and 50-state compliant are not the same. CA has specific requirements, and the 59956 is not legal in CA.

You can search for compliance in the CARB catalytic converter database, or much easier just go to magnaflow.com and search based on vehicle. For my vehicle, the results are pretty limited since there is only magnaflow model # allowed for the front 2 cats, and a different model required for the single rear cat.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I like Thorley Tri-Y headers but am not sure how popular they are on here.

These were my answer to the shorties vs. mids. vs. longtubes conundrum.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shortys are a waste of money, not enough gain over stock manifolds... Richard Holdner has done several dyno runs. Long tubes are the way to go.
As dub said said above, I'm also a fan of the Tri Y headers, must be my age!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get long tubes or don't bother. Shorties are a waste of money.