Engine Tick and AFM Disabler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. Out of a 50 mile drive today it ticked for 1/4 mile. I stopped and popped the hood trying to pinpoint it. Got back in and went to pull back out on the road and it was gone. Might swing by the shop and just have them check those.

I bought this vehicle a few months ago so I have little history with it. I did change it to synthetic oil and substituted a bottle of Lucas heavy duty oil treatment. It was recommended by a dealership to a buddy of mine who has a 2001 suburban to help with engine noise and leaks. I also ran a bottle of Seafoam through it at the last fill up.
check the belt the belt can make noises as well

my belt is shredded you can see the line groves on the smooth side

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate it too. I run the range device in mine. Only quirks with it are it seems to rev high at times on cold start and it needs to be unplugged about a week before going in for emissions testing. Which I have to do by the end of the month. So I'll be driving around with my asZ puckered up for a bit.
i found a loophole with the range device
you can get the suv ready with the green check mark , then plug it back in and it will KEEP the green checkmark and block out any check engine lights as well

and drive it in m3 (m4 for hybrid model)or m5 (depending on the transmission installed it will do v8 only mode)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i found a loophole with the range device
you can get the suv ready with the green check mark , then plug it back in and it will KEEP the green checkmark and block out any check engine lights as well

and drive it in m3 (m4 for hybrid model)or m5 (depending on the transmission installed it will do v8 only mode)

I don't follow, please elaborate sir. :popcorn:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info on here. It sounds like a sticky lifter to me. Especially with 232k on it. I'd run a quart of ATF before your next oil change like mentioned above. It has high detergents and will dissolve varnish from years and miles of hot oil.

Also, depending on what year you have, just drive in manual mode and keep it in 5 or 3. This will prevent v4 mode and sometimes, depending on what type of driving you do, can result in the same or better mileage.

I use a range in my 2017 yukon and it has been great so far

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't follow, please elaborate sir. :popcorn:
I/M readiness

(i/m readiness status) : Signal or code for emission testing which states that all the vehicle's on-board emissions diagnostics have been run.

after everything is good the person can plug in the range device and the SUV will stay ready for a smog check with the range device in the OBD port... Green check mark :)

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@tbgrey2007 Lifter noise can certainly come and go. My lifters have proof of that by the multiple flat spots on it. I had strange mild lifter sounds for about a year before I had a serious problem. I had AFM tuned off the entire time so that won't help you if it has already started.

Maybe a exhaust manifold leak fading in and out? Can you track down the location of the ticking noise? Check all the exhaust manifold bolts are there.
I can see bolts are missing on the top side of the manifolds, one on each side. I used a screwdriver to check the one I could reach and it appears the bolt is broken off in the hole. I have not check from underneath yet.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see bolts are missing on the top side of the manifolds, one on each side. I used a screwdriver to check the one I could reach and it appears the bolt is broken off in the hole. I have not check from underneath yet.

Dorman makes clamps to bolt on to fix that without having to extract the old bolts.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say what? Never heard of that. How do they work because exhaust gasses seem to squirt out of anywhere they can fit.........there is a joke here waiting

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say what? Never heard of that. How do they work because exhaust gasses seem to squirt out of anywhere they can fit.........there is a joke here waiting
Three of the 4 corners on our engine have a broken exhaust manifold bolt. I installed:

Exhaust Manifold bridge clamp, back driver side – APDTY brand # 028218 - amazon
and
Exhaust manifold bridge clamps, frt driver side & back pass – APDTY brand # 028253 - amazon