Engine noise - lifter, rod, ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
could be an accessory like power steering pump or something. You really need to pin point it with a scope(you can use a long oil funnel also to get general area).

I actually like the funnel trick better to get the starting point.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are the chances yall think it could be the flex plate or something between the motor and trans????

today ive started to notice that in 2nd and maybe even 3rd gear at slow enough speeds, it doesnt make the noise.....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are the chances yall think it could be the flex plate or something between the motor and trans????

today ive started to notice that in 2nd and maybe even 3rd gear at slow enough speeds, it doesnt make the noise.....

Cracked metal can make weird noises and that's a point that'd certainly change sound with varying loads. Grab a small flathead screwdriver and bright flashlight and have a peek at it. IMO, the sound is too rhythmic to be a cracked flex plate. But, maybe it's moving and the teeth are lightly catching the starter? You'd know right away by the shiny sides of the teeth.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cracked metal can make weird noises and that's a point that'd certainly change sound with varying loads. Grab a small flathead screwdriver and bright flashlight and have a peek at it. IMO, the sound is too rhythmic to be a cracked flex plate. But, maybe it's moving and the teeth are lightly catching the starter? You'd know right away by the shiny sides of the teeth.

I did see that in one random find. I popped the inspection cover and the part i could see looked ok. That damn front sway bar is huge and right in the way as well.

im still not convinced its not something from the outside of the engine making the noise...especially with that it got quiet when it was raining. i might run it and spray various areas and see what happens

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I did see that in one random find. I popped the inspection cover and the part i could see looked ok. That damn front sway bar is huge and right in the way as well.

im still not convinced its not something from the outside of the engine making the noise...especially with that it got quiet when it was raining. i might run it and spray various areas and see what happens
Try taking the AC belt off. When mine was failing it made all sorts of strange sounds at all sorts of RPM.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taking the AC belt off. When mine was failing it made all sorts of strange sounds at all sorts of RPM.
That was the one belt i did not take off. And also the first time i heard it was when the AC was on. Appears theres no tensioner for that one...should be fun to get off.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah take the belts off start it up... I fought a sqeak for a while, turned out that it was a POS Dayco belt... I will never buy dayco again.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys want to hear something weird.... its cold out now. Was 47* on the drive to work and it only makes noise between 2100 and 2500 rpm now...........