Engine noise - lifter, rod, ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit. I thought you had already tried it with the belt off.
Bearings in an accessory drive sounds plausible since it's frequency doesn't seem to match valve events.
That was his thoughts exactly. He said " its sounds like it something spinning around inside something else"

Its was so obvious that I overlooked it cause im not the smartest sometimes haha. Which makes a little more sense since sunday when i started it the alternator was making some awful sounds.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was his thoughts exactly. He said " its sounds like it something spinning around inside something else"

Its was so obvious that I overlooked it cause im not the smartest sometimes haha. Which makes a little more sense since sunday when i started it the alternator was making some awful sounds.

Good way to describe it. I was thinking card in bicycle spokes type of sound, which lead me to the timing chain tensioner. Hoping for the best!

You still should invest in a mechanic's stethoscope. They're about $5 at Harbor Freight.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good way to describe it. I was thinking card in bicycle spokes type of sound, which lead me to the timing chain tensioner. Hoping for the best!

You still should invest in a mechanic's stethoscope. They're about $5 at Harbor Freight.

I am too. I should get one, theres a HF on my way into work.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another terrible, semi update.

I think my boss might be on to something with its being an accessory noise. It was raining on my drive home today, so the engine bay is more humid and most then usual. I couldnt hear it while driving and when I got home and rev'ed the truck in the garage, it barely makes any noise what-so-ever. This makes me feel REALLY good about this theory. So now i just need to confirm this over the weekend when I have to chance to rev it with the belt off on a cold engine. I know this sounds strange, but i think it might be the alternator.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another terrible, semi update.

I think my boss might be on to something with its being an accessory noise. It was raining on my drive home today, so the engine bay is more humid and most then usual. I couldnt hear it while driving and when I got home and rev'ed the truck in the garage, it barely makes any noise what-so-ever. This makes me feel REALLY good about this theory. So now i just need to confirm this over the weekend when I have to chance to rev it with the belt off on a cold engine. I know this sounds strange, but i think it might be the alternator.
You can also use a long extension or even put a screwdriver to your ear to isolate the noise. Just don't let any long hair from your beard or pony tail or Fabio like Dew get near any spinning parts or you'll get scalped!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well tried it with the belt off, was quiet at first but then it came back.....crap...so its gotta be something internal.

Sorry to hear!

Get that stethoscope yet? As James mentioned, you can use a long screwdriver or wooden dowel. The stethoscope is just so much more easier to use and pinpoint with.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear!

Get that stethoscope yet? As James mentioned, you can use a long screwdriver or wooden dowel. The stethoscope is just so much more easier to use and pinpoint with.
not yet.

it sounds like its coming from back by cylinder 7, i was goign to unplug the plug there and see what happened but i dont know if that will really tell me much.

its so weird though that when it rained it went away and now that its dried up its back.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I didn’t read that you removed the valve covers yet. Your sound coming and going may be a loose rocker? Just doesn’t seem like a lifter would be quiet at idle then make noise at 2k.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t read that you removed the valve covers yet. Your sound coming and going may be a loose rocker? Just doesn’t seem like a lifter would be quiet at idle then make noise at 2k.

I have not yet. For some reason pulling them seems scary to me without the supervision of someone whos done it before even though I know that theres really nothing too it.

Related to a loose rocker, what am I checking for? that it wiggles?? anyone know the torque spec of them for making sure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM