Engine cover revived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take a sawzall to cut this area out of the stock engine cover then attach it with an aluminium angle to the Camaro Cover.
Stock-mounts.jpg

That will hold the back of the new cover.
I hate to drill a hole and use the stock front mount but it's the easiest way.
Will probably do some kind of cover for it.

Last edited:

Jeff Groves

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So fans of the ugly stock cover might find this offensive but I butchered mine.
butchered.JPG

I'll put that in place then put the Camaro cover in to figure out the spacing.

Jeff Groves

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to get the measurement for attaching the rear part from the old cover to the new cover due to how tight it fits.
So I'll use an old trick to get that. I'll take some clay I use to cast parts and place it on the old cover while it's in place.
Then press the new cover into it to get a mark!

One thing I am going to do is make a template of the cuts I had to make in the cover then post them. Then it will be easier for anyone else to do this if they wish.

Last edited:

Jeff Groves

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's the clay trick applied. I put a layer of clay on the part cut from the old cover and snapped it in place.
Clay-1.JPG

I put the new cover in and pushed it down into the clay. That cut the clay and I ended up with this on the new cover.
Clay-2.JPG

Now I pulled the old cover part off and have a perfect rough measurement!
clay-3.JPG

I'll adjust that to get a clean line since it is a tad off. But that gives me the information for attaching the old part to the new cover.

butchered.JPG Clay-1.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So here's the clay trick applied. I put a layer of clay on the part cut from the old cover and snapped it in place.
View attachment 221966

I put the new cover in and pushed it down into the clay. That cut the clay and I ended up with this on the new cover.
View attachment 221967

Now I pulled the old cover part off and have a perfect rough measurement!
View attachment 221968

I'll adjust that to get a clean line since it is a tad off. But that gives me the information for attaching the old part to the new cover.

View attachment 221964 View attachment 221965
Good trick.

Jeff Groves

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have to cut one of the baffles off the stock air intake system but that is no big deal. I'll just put a patch over the hole for now. The Oil fill tube will need modded as I want it in the hole in the Camaro cover.
I'll get to that after I get a good attachment of the cover.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have to cut one of the baffles off the stock air intake system but that is no big deal. I'll just put a patch over the hole for now. The Oil fill tube will need modded as I want it in the hole in the Camaro cover.
I'll get to that after I get a good attachment of the cover.

An AIRAID MIT would be the easy and clean way out but cutting the resonator chamber off is much cheaper. Before I found a deal on my MIT, I planned to trim the chambers off mine and patch it with this stuff:

50139_Black_Plastic_Bonder_Syringe_FLT.jpg

It cures to a hard, black plastic very much like what the duct is made of. I've fixed a couple of mounting tabs on headlights and they've never broken.

Jeff Groves

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to see is someone modding the stock air intake by cutting baffles and putting that on a dyno test.
Then compare to the high dollar stuff. I did my own intake mod on a 2005 Triumph SpeedMaster and dyno proved I did a better job then the high dollar stuff being sold.
And way cheaper! Not that I'm cheap but you better prove I'm getting what I pay for.

The baffles in the stock system are to keep the noise down as far as I've found.
So no reason we can't just cut them off and patch them with in reason.

What I mean by 'with in reason' is do it in a way that does not create an air dam.
The stock system creates air dams that suck up the sounds you get from the after market systems. Anyone that has done air flow work with flow metering systems understands that effect and why it's used.

Last edited:

Jeff Groves

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked at the Hoe real close to see how it's getting air. I'll be adding a wing to the area near the front wheel to scoop in more air. It's actually in a near dead air space as it is and if I put the front dam on? It will be worse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157