engine cover removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's the easy way to remove the right side engine cover? The oil fill tube is in the way, does it come out of the valve cover easily? Does the oil dipstick have to be take loose? I've got the top cover off and the two bolts that hold the right cover the the engine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the easy way to remove the right side engine cover? The oil fill tube is in the way, does it come out of the valve cover easily? Does the oil dipstick have to be take loose? I've got the top cover off and the two bolts that hold the right cover the the engine.
year make model engine size?
are you talking about the valve cover?
upload a photo for clarification

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are refering to the passenger side valve cover then
unplug coil pack harness
remove the 4 upper plug wires
remove coil pack bracket nuts, the one closest to the firewall is tricky, I used a box wrench but a flexible tool or swivel might fit.
once the bracket is off then there is just the center bolts and cover comes right off
dipstick is not in the way for removal

if yours is 8 litre then no idea never did one

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there should be 2 bolts basically under where the heater hoses run, once those are out it should lift up and over the oil fill spout

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you are refering to the passenger side valve cover then
unplug coil pack harness
remove the 4 upper plug wires
remove coil pack bracket nuts, the one closest to the firewall is tricky, I used a box wrench but a flexible tool or swivel might fit.
once the bracket is off then there is just the center bolts and cover comes right off
dipstick is not in the way for removal

if yours is 8 litre then no idea never did one
I'm referring to the plastic engine cover that is above the valve cover. It's a 6 liter.

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there should be 2 bolts basically under where the heater hoses run, once those are out it should lift up and over the oil fill spout
Yes, I have those out. the heater hoses keep it from lifting off with the oil fill and dipstick tube in the way. How does the oil fill tube come out of the valve cover? if it was out I could get the cover off. Maybe the dipstick time needs to be unbolted from the block and rotated some too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just did this on a 6.0 2006. Unsnap the hoses and move as needed but be careful of the quick connects at the firewall. Remove the oil fill cap so it does not snag. Remove the snorkel tube from the air filter box to the throttle body and make sure to unplug the MAF. There is a screw at the back area above the coils that takes a 7mm or 8mm and one at the front that was covered by the snorkel. Both will have indentations in the plastic, where the screw heads are. Both of those screws thread in to the bracket that holds the coils. It will come off over the oil fill tube. If you are also removing the bracket, best to remove plug wire at #8 coil and unplug coil and unbolt coil and remove, use a 10mm socket for that. That will give you ample access for unbolting the coil rack at that end. You can then remove the valve cover with the oil fill tube attached. When oil fill tube is installed, it has a spring tab that locks it. You can get lucky and turn against the tab and it will release but usually it breaks. Best to remove the oil fill tube when can get at that tab with valve cover removed and flipped over. When you reinstall the #8 coil, just set in the rack. Enough of the coil sets down in the hole for the coil to hold it in place at the angle it sits. Reinstall the mounting 10mm bolts and snap the plug wire and coil connector back in place. Snaking in the plastic cover is a PITA but is doable easy enough. Those heaater hoses cause the clearance problems.

By the way, perfect time to do a MAF cleaning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar