engine cover removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there just a beauty cover, but removing them doesn't do much for heat dissipation
Not so much keeping the engine cooler, but electronics & other little lines & hoses under it. ( When I open the hood, I want to see everything.

But, I'll take your word for it You have more posts than me :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The real heat is at the exhaust manifold. The heat under the cover is minimal, in the scheme of things.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there just a beauty cover, but removing them doesn't do much for heat dissipation
I think there is sound deadening foam glued to the bottom of those covers too. They may help keep some engine noise out of the cabin. I wish i could put them on my L9H, to quiet down the valvetrain a little.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much keeping the engine cooler, but electronics & other little lines & hoses under it. ( When I open the hood, I want to see everything.

But, I'll take your word for it You have more posts than me :)
at some point in time I think in the late 1990's all the manufactures started putting on covers I guess so they wouldn't have to design the motor to "look pretty" and it makes it look
kind of daunting to remove them making the customer less likely to try and work on it themselves

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
at some point in time I think in the late 1990's all the manufactures started putting on covers I guess so they wouldn't have to design the motor to "look pretty" and it makes it look
kind of daunting to remove them making the customer less likely to try and work on it themselves
Exactly.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is sound deadening foam glued to the bottom of those covers too. They may help keep some engine noise out of the cabin. I wish i could put them on my L9H, to quiet down the valvetrain a little.
usually the sound deadening is applied to the firewall area, my Denali has some pad material I think the escalades have even more and thicker glass

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people that will pop the hood look at all those covers and just give up right there. lol
I had a '90's Mercedes SL500...... I can relate....

When I was shopping for my first truck, I looked at the mid-'90's Chevy. Then I found a nearly new '88 GMC. I LOVED what I saw under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660