Some questions about details of the LS/LQ engine. (intake and crankcase ventilation)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been working with the LS/lLQ engine for some time and have fallen in love with it.

After decades of working on German cars and them becoming more and more complicated and less durable, I bought a Cadillac Escalade.

It's so nice to work on this car and at the same time so nice that you don't actually have to do much work, because the technology is built quite well and sturdily.

So I was interested very much in my new car, engine and technique and this forum helps me a lot to get inside the technique and the specific problems of this cars. And I found already some solutions for small problems, I had on this car.

Of course, while I was learning about my car, I also came across the PCV valve and that it can cause problems from time to time.

I checked mine by taking off the oil cap and placing a plastic sheet on the oil filler neck. There is a slight negative pressure, which means that the PCV valve is obviously open and working.

Now I bought a smoke leak tester for a fkn BMW which have severe engine problems nobody could find for a long time and tested my engine yesterday just for fun.

I found out that the O-ring on the oil dipstick was no longer completely tight and replaced it.

On the one hand, the smoke tester can blow smoke into the engine, which can then be seen escaping from a leak, but on the other hand, it also has a flow meter and a pressure gauge. If the engine intake system is airtight, the flow meter should go to zero and the pressure gauge should go to high pressure.

This was not the case yesterday and that left me no peace. Although I now think that the cause is probably that the V8 is always in some position where an intake- and exhaust-valve happens to be half open and the pressure disappears there.

But I thought maybe the EVAP system's purge valve was open, which shouldn't be the case when the engine is off. That's why I repeated the test again today and looked at the purge valve, but it's tight when the engine is switched off, as it should be.

After thinking about the fact that the PCV valve is supposed to close, among other things, when overpressure (backfire) occurs in the intake manifold, I blew into the PCV hose with a compressed air gun, but the valve doesn't seem to close.

I can imagine that the smoke tester doesn't close the valve, because there isn't that much air or pressure, but with a compressed air gun you should actually get the valve to close, right? I also discovered that there is also a hose going to the passenger side valve cover near to the throttle body on the intake manifold.

So far I had only read that the PCV valve is on the driver's side. How can there be just a hose?

Is this simply an access without a PVC valve? Surely that would bypass the PCV system? Does anyone know more details?

I am so curious, please open the treasure chest of your knowledge for me.

Best regards from Germany....

Attachments

• 20231001_110247.JPG
    20231001_110247.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231001_110302.JPG
    20231001_110302.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230930_160352.JPG
    20230930_160352.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Escalade? Here in the States starting in I believe 2003 the true pcv was replaced with a "metered orifice " that never closes. It is a specific size that is basically a controlled vacuum leak from the rear of the (American) driver side valve cover.
Assuming here, but yours may be right hand drive?
The hose in the picture you see I believe routes fresh filtered air into the valve cover from behind the throttle body. That air is then pulled through the valve cover, through the crank case and up into the other valve cover. At that point it is pulled through the "metered orifice " (pcv) into the intake to be burned.
Also, is your vehicle capable of propane or natural gas use? I see many more hoses and solenoids on your engine than on mine.
It is morning here an drinking coffee at the moment, ( pretty sure it is mid afternoon there) but if I can find the parts in my hoard, I will take pictures of the orifice I am trying to describe.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st of all, we in Germany also sit on the left side, I mean we invented driving... Only the strange English and Japanese sit on the right side... But as I heard, the English want to change that next year. First the cars and then a year later the lorries.. :gr_grin:

No, only joking.

Yes,I have a LPG system installed and I drive with LPG. That is pretty good, because LPG cost in Germany around 90 Cent and gasoline cost around 1.9 €. The truck needs twenty percent more LPG than fuel, but that means, that I'm equal, by cost, with a car which use 8 Liter on 100km, which mean, I'm equal with a VW Golf.

Your explanation is good and I guess there is orifice inside of this hose, that it not sucks too much fresh air.

My Escalade is a 2006, so the last GMT 820.
My Escalade definitely has the valve cover with the built-in PVC that can no longer be changed. You mean it's not classic PVC but a metered orifice?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the fixed pcv style that I use, (02 Yukon) note the hole is much smaller on the end that goes into the valve cover ( assuming you have the same valve cover as I do, and it hasn’t been changed out with all that propane setup:

addendum- we’ll in the time it took to write reply, you already responded…you have fixed baffle system in your valve cover…

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
images (4).jpegthe above circled part is the metered orifice that your engine has. The left is the old style pcv.

in the below picture the circled port is where fresh air is supplied.
shopping.jpeg
In this picture below you can see the port connects to the side of the manifold where the hose goes to the passenger side valve cover to supply fresh air to the crank case.

Screenshot_20231001_084449_Chrome.jpg

Hope that helps some. If you need more pictures I'll do my best to help.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good information guys.

I love this forum.
Always good information from people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks a lot... Now i know my engine a little better....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019