2005 5.3 Ticking Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the other side valve cover and checked those rockers too, all seems good. Got the stethoscope and listened around but It's so quiet on 10w40 I can't pinpoint it anywhere, I almost hear it better with my ears than the stethoscope. I think I might go for a strategic "wait and see" approach for now. If it gets louder again I have some mystery oil, seems very similar to light oil like diesel. I think switching to synthetic on a 130k mile engine might have been my mistake. It is tempting to flush it with atf or diesel just because if that doesn't do it nothing will. Gonna run this oil for about 3 thousand miles and see what happens.

It's so hard to search about ticking non-afm 5.3's lol. It's all people hearing cold piston slap for the first time or the AFM imploding. Good to know that you had something similar that was fixed with that clamp. I couldn't even find anyone saying they had an exhaust leak that didn't quiet down once their engine warmed up.
For what it’s worth, I switched to synthetic at around 155k and several oil leaks developed soon after. I’m thinking the synthetic did a good job cleaning the motor out (which is good) but also opened up some weak points on the seals.

OP
OP
filthysuburban

filthysuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the sound is louder again after a couple months and 3k miles, it kinda has a chirp or squeak to it now. Stethoscope seems to lead me to lifters. So I've decided to do the heads, cam and lifters, oil pump, timing set and gaskets. Fully aware this work and parts could make no difference in the sound, but I'm betting it's a lifter. Still trying to decide on the cam. Looking into getting a stage 1 cam or something that is close to stock and will run with stock tune and torque converter until I can get it tuned. Wouldn't mind more power but I would mind my 4l60 exploding so I'm aiming for stockish reliability. Stock cam is an option too, if the aftermarket cams are too incompatible with stock tune (they say stage 1 is fine but idk). I have a backup ride so not in a huge hurry.

I'm looking at these parts, the summit parts seem like a good deal. Not ordered anything yet, curious what people think of the summit parts. Should I mess with trunnion bearings? The old ones had zero vertical play when I wiggled them by hand. No pushrods because I'm going to measure that once it's all together again. Going to have heads redone at a shop.

parts
Summit Racing SUM-HTLSKIT2 - Summit Racing™ LS Lifter and Guide Kits $184.48
Melling High-Volume Oil Pumps M295HV $156.36
Cloyes Gear C-3220 - Cloyes Heavy-Duty Timing Sets $31.99
Summit Racing LS Series Retrofit Trunnion Kits SME-143002 $120.59 ?
Summit Racing SUM-174002 - Summit Racing™ Valve Springs $64.79
Summit Racing SUM-150106 - Summit Racing™ Camshaft Retainer Plates $17.09

bolts/gasket
ARP 134-1003 - ARP Cam Bolts $7.09
ARP 134-3610 - ARP Pro Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits $118.99
ARP 234-2503 - ARP Balancer Bolts $33.99
ICT Billet Exhaust Manifold Bolts 551696 $21.99
Fel-Pro Head Gasket Sets Fel-Pro HS 26191 PT-1 $194.99

I was looking at these cams, I see melling also makes a stage 1 truck cam but is not very popular.
Summit Racing™ Pro LS Vortec Truck Swap Camshafts SUM-8718R1 $269.99
BTR GEN III & IV TRUCK CAM - STAGE 1 - V2 - BTR30612120 $349.99

Pretty sure the prices were lower last time I looked lol.

Edit to include this awesome post which has the list of tools needed for those playing along

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the sound is louder again after a couple months and 3k miles, it kinda has a chirp or squeak to it now. Stethoscope seems to lead me to lifters. So I've decided to do the heads, cam and lifters, oil pump, timing set and gaskets. Fully aware this work and parts could make no difference in the sound, but I'm betting it's a lifter. Still trying to decide on the cam. Looking into getting a stage 1 cam or something that is close to stock and will run with stock tune and torque converter until I can get it tuned. Wouldn't mind more power but I would mind my 4l60 exploding so I'm aiming for stockish reliability. Stock cam is an option too, if the aftermarket cams are too incompatible with stock tune (they say stage 1 is fine but idk). I have a backup ride so not in a huge hurry.

I'm looking at these parts, the summit parts seem like a good deal. Not ordered anything yet, curious what people think of the summit parts. Should I mess with trunnion bearings? The old ones had zero vertical play when I wiggled them by hand. No pushrods because I'm going to measure that once it's all together again. Going to have heads redone at a shop.

parts
Summit Racing SUM-HTLSKIT2 - Summit Racing™ LS Lifter and Guide Kits $184.48
Melling High-Volume Oil Pumps M295HV $156.36
Summit Racing True Roller Timing Sets SUM-G6640 $132.29
Summit Racing LS Series Retrofit Trunnion Kits SME-143002 $120.59 ?
Summit Racing SUM-174002 - Summit Racing™ Valve Springs $64.79
Summit Racing SUM-150106 - Summit Racing™ Camshaft Retainer Plates $17.09

bolts/gasket
ARP 134-1003 - ARP Cam Bolts $7.09
ARP 134-3610 - ARP Pro Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits $118.99
ARP 234-2503 - ARP Balancer Bolts $33.99
ICT Billet Exhaust Manifold Bolts 551696 $21.99
Fel-Pro 260-1973 - Fel-Pro Engine Gasket Kits $237.99

I was looking at these cams, I see melling also makes a stage 1 truck cam but is not very popular.
Summit Racing™ Pro LS Vortec Truck Swap Camshafts SUM-8718R1 $269.99
BTR GEN III & IV TRUCK CAM - STAGE 1 - V2 - BTR30612120 $349.99

Pretty sure the prices were lower last time I looked lol.

I started with the same idea as you thinking top end refresh... long story short, I wound up pulling the engine. I'm using that Summit Racing cam, and a bunch of their stuff. Summit is local to me, so that's a big factor for me.

May be of some help to you: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tty-head-bolts-with-engine-in-vehicle.147231/

OP
OP
filthysuburban

filthysuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reading about what lifters are good and now I'm scared lol, apparently all the aftermarket trays are suspect and lifters on ebay/amazon are 99% fake. I know better than to buy lifters from there but the part I ordered says Delphi and delphi will not warranty any of their ls7 lifters (when they stopped I don't know) Hmm... Should have plenty of time while the heads are in the shop to fuss about lifters, I'm going to micrometer them and see for myself if I like them. I can usually smell junk and if I don't like them even a little they're going back for the double priced gm performance or morel. Don't want to spend a bunch but it's easily justified on lifters, it's 200$ more for insurance and those engines aren't getting cheaper.

Would love to hear about anyone's experience using sum-ht215 lifters. This guy used the summit lifters seems like the build went well https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2010-burb-misfire.142262/page-9#post-1792808

Also getting the summit cam, less aggressive and easier tune. Torque will be very welcome on 3.43 gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660