Electric Suburban / Electric Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basic example: hurricane evacuation.

While you’re waiting hours for your vehicle to charge I’ll be driving past you with a full tank of gas and as many full 5 gallon gasoline cans as I care to carry. Grid goes down, you’re not going anywhere. Even when it comes back up, better hope the CC machine is working because you probably don’t believe in carrying cash ether...
Actually the great thing about EVs is during a natural disaster/storm you can use the huge batteries to power your house. It basically becomes a mobile generator. And if you have solar, you charge as much as you want, at home. While the rest of people with gas cars wait for HOURS in gas station lines and fight each other like animals, lol, then come home to a cold, dark house with no electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the great thing about EVs is during a natural disaster/storm you can use the huge batteries to power your house. It basically becomes a mobile generator. And if you have solar, you charge as much as you want, at home. While the rest of people with gas cars wait for HOURS in gas station lines and fight each other like animals, lol, then come home to a cold, dark house with no electricity.

Generator. Lol

Its a proprietary battery. How do plan in tapping into that power? You know how many panels it would take to make it useful as a solar battery?

Sounds like a lot of generalizations disguised as specifics. You know like global warming.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generator. Lol

Its a proprietary battery. How do plan in tapping into that power? You know how many panels it would take to make it useful as a solar battery?

Sounds like a lot of generalizations disguised as specifics. You know like global warming.
You don’t have to believe in science or embrace technology. But to get so upset about it seems really odd. Let’s just all agree that hopefully there will always be all types of vehicles available [emoji482]

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don’t have to believe in science or embrace technology. But to get so upset about it seems really odd. Let’s just all agree that hopefully there will always be all types of vehicles available [emoji482]

Stop trying to claim the moral high ground. You look like a douche.

No one is upset.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I actually don’t think there will always be all types of vehicles available, at least in the new category. California has already made it clear 2035 is the cutoff for new internal combustion vehicles, at least for private citizens.

Other factors that I think will hasten the demise of fossil fuel vehicles will be taxes and regulation, which will likely make internal combustion engined cars more and more expensive to operate and impractical. Gas stations can go the way of the dodo pretty quickly, just turn the screw on environmental pollution penalties and it can become ruinous to own a filling station, at the stroke of a pen.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but the country took a big hop left last month, a kind of a seismic event, as it were. Not sure that vector is changing anytime soon.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually don’t think there will always be all types of vehicles available, at least in the new category. California has already made it clear 2035 is the cutoff for new internal combustion vehicles, at least for private citizens.

Other factors that I think will hasten the demise of fossil fuel vehicles will be taxes and regulation, which will likely make internal combustion engined cars more and more expensive to operate and impractical. Gas stations can go the way of the dodo pretty quickly, just turn the screw on environmental pollution penalties and it can become ruinous to own a filling station, at the stroke of a pen.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but the country took a big hop left last month, a kind of a seismic event, as it were. Not sure that vector is changing anytime soon.
I’m highly skeptical of the 2035 timeline. Right now the OMG industry is the most heavily subsidized/incentivized industry in history. They’re not going to let go of that money and power easily.

Even if it did happen and all 50 states met the goal, all sorts of loopholes would exist. Not to mention half the people here hate the “new” GM’s already and drive 10+ year old models. At the youngest these buyers are 50 today...65 when this hits and they’ll have 20 years of viable used gas vehicles to buy before they croak.

As for the rest of us we’ll be rockin SUV’s with 600+ mile range, quick charge/battery swap tech and smoking them at lights with 2.5 0-60 times.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m highly skeptical of the 2035 timeline. Right now the OMG industry is the most heavily subsidized/incentivized industry in history. They’re not going to let go of that money and power easily.

Even if it did happen and all 50 states met the goal, all sorts of loopholes would exist. Not to mention half the people here hate the “new” GM’s already and drive 10+ year old models. At the youngest these buyers are 50 today...65 when this hits and they’ll have 20 years of viable used gas vehicles to buy before they croak.

As for the rest of us we’ll be rockin SUV’s with 600+ mile range, quick charge/battery swap tech and smoking them at lights with 2.5 0-60 times.

I wasn’t implying there would be no gas vehicles on the road in 2036, but I can see a Federal ban on vehicles the use fossil fuel being sold new in that timeframe. Heck, if all the majors decide to go all EV, there may only be Toyota to choose from if you want gas or diesel.

As far as the used fleet, no doubt any bans would allow them to remain on the road. But again, a big step up in EPA penalties for any violation in pollution regulations could make selling gas at the corner station an unviable business.

Again, time will tell and maybe things will evolve more slowly, but from my perspective right now, the role government is going to play in all our lives as it pertains to fossil fuels just took a major stair step function up.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t implying there would be no gas vehicles on the road in 2036, but I can see a Federal ban on vehicles the use fossil fuel being sold new in that timeframe. Heck, if all the majors decide to go all EV, there may only be Toyota to choose from if you want gas or diesel.

As far as the used fleet, no doubt any bans would allow them to remain on the road. But again, a big step up in EPA penalties for any violation in pollution regulations could make selling gas at the corner station an unviable business.

Again, time will tell and maybe things will evolve more slowly, but from my perspective right now, the role government is going to play in all our lives as it pertains to fossil fuels just took a major stair step function up.

The rapid decline in battery costs and public demand is already driving the industry (pun intended). Ten years ago it was thought that it would be virtually impossible to get battery costs under $1000/KwH. We’re now at $125/KwH. The target for the auto industry to be profitable was $250/KwH. In 10 years they will be the more cost effective option.

All policy is window dressing made to appease the masses at this point. The govt is chasing a demand curve thats already going vertical. You’ll know they are actually serious when they stop OMG subsidies and tax incentives. Which is to say, never.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will just say it is going to take a LOT AND A LONG TIME to tame the oil & gas tiger that exist's outside of your future hope of battery power, ECONOMICS have a play here and oil & gas are very large portion of it, there are reasons the government does and does not do things. To make all these "required" batteries you need raw materials, guess where all those materials come from? yep from under your feet, this means mining has to increase over 500% in most cases, it takes 50-100 lbs of raw material to make 1lb of battery (not just dirt i'm talking specific minerals), most of these raw materials are processed guess where? China (currently and quickly becoming our mortal cold war enemy) then you have to throw in Covid-19 economics current projections with a BEST case scenario say it will take 4 years just to catch up to where we peaked in 2019 economy wise presuming HIGH economic growth, other projections say it might take up to 2050 before we even hit the benchmark, the impact has not really even set in yet the government is still bottle feeding the economy.
a postage stamp size solar array is not going to power the empire state building, thinking battery power will go the way of the computer cpu is absurd, the materials needed for energy storage are hard materials those materials are not going to shrink to the size of a ant, more capacity means more space. It takes 100X the energy to produce a battery that will have the storage capacity of 1X the energy it took to make it. That is our reality, even a 200% increase in battery storage capacity will not meet what fossil fuels provide
The taxes generated from fossil fuel use are stupendous, if you think for even a minute they won't regulate battery powered vehicles to get the equal amount of taxes then you are just plain stupid. It's just plain economics.
on top of that fossil fuels produce 2/3rd's of the worlds electricity, it also powers shipping, flying, basically all forms of transport as we know it today (well you do have submarines and carriers). maybe someday you will be able to fly to china on battery power but I doubt it will be within any of our children's lifetimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo