Electric Suburban / Electric Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter who is in office. EV’s are here and not going away. People love to blame/praise the govt for everything (common enemies and heroes are important for societal cohesion) but again, the demand curve is going vertical worldwide. How quickly perfect substitutes for EV’s (aka: IC engines) stick around in the US may move up or down a few years but in the end the result will be the same. If you see govt start to pull back from OMG subsidies/incentives then you’ll know they are serious. But they won’t. OMG is in the pocket of both sides of the aisle. They don’t even mention it. Both sides sucker people into believing that the changes they propose will make huge progress in one direction or the other. Yet neither side dares mention changes to OMG subs let alone propose meaningful change.

Re: KwH costs from WSJ. If I said >$1000 I misspoke. $1000 is where it was 10 years ago and many thought getting below $250 wasn’t feasible in the short term:
bbba6313238cc122b35e4b61f275b1c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so ten years ago it was thought by "Boston Consulting" that $1000/kWH was an impenetrable barrier. If any who were actually in a position to know (this toiling in the business themselves), thought $1000/kWH was some real cost barrier, the EV industry would have never made it past the novelty stage (think original Tesla Roadster). For certain, if Elon Musk had actually believed $1000/kWH was some kind of immutable law, he would have never spent the better part of his adult life on the Tesla investment.

As I said, I do agree with you that the speed that storage costs have come down has caught "most" who study such things by surprise. I also don't think the cost of storage has materially affected EV adoption to this point. The truth is, Tesla, the market leader, has been pretty much supply constrained from day one. Price elasticity doesn't seem to play much of a role in Tesla planning, at least as of yet.

I disagree with you that it doesn't matter who is running things, at least in the context that public policy can overcome natural market forces that likely would work to delay adoption of technologies like EV. If climate change wasn't as big a concern among a majority of Americans, there is no way California could mandate all new vehicles sold after 2035 be zero emissions. Public policy will greatly accellerate the adoption of EV in California, the biggest car market in the US. Public policy is why big car companies are racing to be all EV by 2035. Not because the market metrics guarantee financial success. There are too many unknowns regarding large scale supply of materials, what those costs might be when environmental, political and ethical factors are ultimately laid to rest, to be assured being all EV at GM is a 100% sure bet. The truth is the auto companies know, they have no choice but to make EV work, regardless of the risk to their ultimate success or failure.

How much does it all cost in the end? That isn't confined to the cost per kWh or what a Gigafactory costs to commission. Californian's have rolling brown outs today. Do you think widespread adoption of EV's in a state that mandates green energy first, isn't going to create a collision of goals? A collision of goals that the end user will pay for, both in pain and pocketbook.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so ten years ago it was thought by "Boston Consulting" that $1000/kWH was an impenetrable barrier. If any who were actually in a position to know (this toiling in the business themselves), thought $1000/kWH was some real cost barrier, the EV industry would have never made it past the novelty stage (think original Tesla Roadster). For certain, if Elon Musk had actually believed $1000/kWH was some kind of immutable law, he would have never spent the better part of his adult life on the Tesla investment.

As I said, I do agree with you that the speed that storage costs have come down has caught "most" who study such things by surprise. I also don't think the cost of storage has materially affected EV adoption to this point. The truth is, Tesla, the market leader, has been pretty much supply constrained from day one. Price elasticity doesn't seem to play much of a role in Tesla planning, at least as of yet.

I disagree with you that it doesn't matter who is running things, at least in the context that public policy can overcome natural market forces that likely would work to delay adoption of technologies like EV. If climate change wasn't as big a concern among a majority of Americans, there is no way California could mandate all new vehicles sold after 2035 be zero emissions. Public policy will greatly accellerate the adoption of EV in California, the biggest car market in the US. Public policy is why big car companies are racing to be all EV by 2035. Not because the market metrics guarantee financial success. There are too many unknowns regarding large scale supply of materials, what those costs might be when environmental, political and ethical factors are ultimately laid to rest, to be assured being all EV at GM is a 100% sure bet. The truth is the auto companies know, they have no choice but to make EV work, regardless of the risk to their ultimate success or failure.

How much does it all cost in the end? That isn't confined to the cost per kWh or what a Gigafactory costs to commission. Californian's have rolling brown outs today. Do you think widespread adoption of EV's in a state that mandates green energy first, isn't going to create a collision of goals? A collision of goals that the end user will pay for, both in pain and pocketbook.

Agreed. The US is behind the EV curve when compared to most developed countries. And regardless of who is “in charge” we’ll be majority EV at some point.

Whether it’s 15 or 50 doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. Will there be some “discomfort” as we transition? Sure. Always is.

Either way...

It’s coming.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready for an electric GM future, coming soon!

GM CEO Mary Barra Outlines EV Push, “Admires” Norway

General Motors is planning to spend $27 billion from 2020 to 2025 on electric and autonomous vehicles and technology. This includes launching 30 EVs globally, with two-thirds of these models set to be available in North America.

During a call with investors to report fourth-quarter and full-year 2020 earnings, chief executive officer Mary Barra hammered the message home again that GM's EV push is very real.

Barra said GM's success means taking the top spot in EV market share in North America—in other words, kicking Tesla's butt. By mid-decade, GM aims to sell more than a million electric vehicles per year in North America and China.

Success also means GM's battery-powered vehicles will be as—or more—profitable than vehicles with combustion engines. GM's new Ultium battery system has made great strides in reducing costs and engineers are already working on the next generation setup, which will cut costs even further, Barra said.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-...630DCE371EA3B126522EAB2C8C7A9107A623F8E631225

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another step closer to an electric Tahoe/Suburban variant. Good move by GM to follow Tesla's lead and start with the high end, truck in this case. The Hummer EV SUV is actually 7 inches longer than a Tahoe according to TFL.

GMC HUMMER EV SUV
Introducing the next all-electric supertruck - the GMC Hummer EV SUV. If you thought one could change the world, imagine what two can do.

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the electric range will be on a Tahoe or Suburban while pulling a 7000 pound trailer? I wish GM or another vehicle maker would release a large SUV based on the Chevy Volt concept. An electric vehicle with a gasoline engine as a backup. Kinda like the idea of a diesel locomotive. You have an engine driving a generator that powers the motors on the drive line. I am afraid the range will be pretty much unrealistic when towing heavy loads. No offense but i really don't feel like stopping at a charging station every 90 miles to recharge while on vacation :) LOL

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the electric range will be on a Tahoe or Suburban while pulling a 7000 pound trailer? I wish GM or another vehicle maker would release a large SUV based on the Chevy Volt concept. An electric vehicle with a gasoline engine as a backup. Kinda like the idea of a diesel locomotive. You have an engine driving a generator that powers the motors on the drive line. I am afraid the range will be pretty much unrealistic when towing heavy loads. No offense but i really don't feel like stopping at a charging station every 90 miles to recharge while on vacation :) LOL
Reminds me of the 1990’s when stores started selling 30+ foot coiled telephone cords for home phones. Short sided people who thought technology would not advance, probably said the same thing about home phones. “I can only reach one room past the kitchen, and no more.” :) LOL

I do agree the Chevy Volt concept is a good intermediary. But advancements in technology over the next years may make it unnecessary. But it was great in 2010, and maybe they’ll do it again for specific use cases.

Last edited:

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the 1990’s when stores started selling 30+ foot coiled telephone cords for home phones. Short sided people who thought technology would not advance, probably said the same thing about home phones. “I can only reach one room past the kitchen, and no more.” :) LOL

I do agree the Chevy Volt concept is a good intermediary. But advancements in technology over the next years may make it unnecessary. But it was great in 2010, and maybe they’ll do it again for specific use cases.

Well considering there is not enough lithium on the planet for this dream of all EVs by 2035 these car makers better invent a new battery with a range equal or better than lithium batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts