Driveshaft vibration video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Chris may have it if you’ve noticed the heat sheiks rattling before. About lowering I didn’t need to address pinion angle
Ok, but the heat shield vibrating I'm thinking is because of something making it vibrate, like u joints, slip yoke, unbalanced driveshaft, pinion angle, driveline phasing, and tires, wheel bearings, out out of alignment ring and pinion,

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have observed after a year of driving:

1.Drives great first 5 to 8 minutes until reached operating temperature with no vibrations.

2. Someone installed new u joints before I purchased it, don't know how new, I bought it from a ford dealership.

3. Changed rear diff fluid (Mobil 1 syn with Lsd additive) and transfer case fluid (Mobil 1 and dexron vi syn blend)
>>>>drove really smooth for about 3 days after changing thinking problem solved <<<<<

4. Does not vibrate in 1 or 2nd gear.

5. Tires are 265/65/18 Goodyear ar-s 50% worn

6. Runs great wot 1 thru 6 gears

7. Runs pretty smooth with heavy cooler for camping and weighted down rear with passengers....(That's why I'm thinking lowering it would help and I like that look anyway....

8. No trouble codes over a year except showed running lean once

9. I try to wiggle driveshaft but there is no play....

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda goes back to it not happening under load of higher rpms keeping things tight. I agree with j22 pull the drive shaft and you’ll find it. You’re correct that it might be something causing the shield to rattle but see if you can secure it or remove it to see if any noise is there.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda goes back to it not happening under load of higher rpms keeping things tight. I agree with j22 pull the drive shaft and you’ll find it. You’re correct that it might be something causing the shield to rattle but see if you can secure it or remove it to see if any noise is there.
Keeping a tight spin under high rpms is right, that's what a driveline shop told me. Like spinning a top, when it loses speed, it wobbles. A guy working at advanced auto parts told me also when I'm accelerating hard, the vehicle will squat down and that's enough to correct a small pinion angle that's off. I have decided to drop it. I went to Auto Zone last night and bought Lucas Red N Tacky #2 heavy duty grease. It says it's good for sliding parts, but am scared as some say don't use grease as it will get inside the transfer case and mess up clutches???? What Do You think? Also, someone on offer up is selling a 2-4 drop kit (drop spindles and coil springs in back). Im thinking since i loaded up the rear with a heavy cooler and camping gear with passengers in back where the rear end was dropped down, it road really smooth that time.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Transfer case? the video is of the rear shaft correct? imo, a moly paste/grease is better suited for your ap. The drive shaft spline really should need only a "light" application on install. it does exist in a wet environment as the tail housing bushing and the spline are lubricated by the trans fluid. Just be aware depending on the incline that you are parked when you pull the drive shaft there is a possibility of some auto trans fluid coming out. That much racket should have some slop evident even without removing the shaft. park the car level and chock the rear wheel so the driveline is "unloaded", Get underneath and see if you can see the yokes are worn by twisting the driveline cw/ccw. im guessing Its a u joint!

Also im a 59 year old "factory purist" so your venture into lowering is against my principals. But they do look cool when done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper