Driveshaft vibration video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a video I took today. 1 year driving it like this. Ready to get it fixed. The video is dim, but you'll be able to hear the clunk metal knocking sound...I'm thinking the slip yoke is making that sound...it happens 3rd gear on up at a constant speed like 35 on up. Some days it doesn't happen, but that's is rare...anyone know what that sound Is? I honk a couple of seconds after I feel the shudder/vibration while I'm driving.

Here is the link

Here is a link I found on YouTube that sounds like mine...what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d think it’s in the rear end. Can you move the yoke side to side by hand when stopped? If you’re under way you’ve got tension on the yoke unless you see your rpm go up suddenly due to slipping. Others with more rear diff experience will chime in.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d think it’s in the rear end. Can you move the yoke side to side by hand when stopped? If you’re under way you’ve got tension on the yoke unless you see your rpm go up suddenly due to slipping. Others with more rear diff experience will chime in.
But if you watched the 2nd video, it's the same sound the slip yoke makes in the second video...kind of a knocking sound....i notice your Yukon is lowered, I want to lower my Tahoe too and im thinking it will line up the rear diff better. When you lowered yours, no extra work for your pinion angles?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that your truck made those sounds when changing lanes or after a turn. Not so sure that is drive line. Sounds like a heat shield fluttering. Cool video btw.

Have you pulled the driveshaft and greased the slip yoke's splines?

The second video, that old driveshaft appears to be too short and he probably needed greasing as well. It's woefully out of round.

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me silly, but I think the second video clearly shows the driveshaft wobble,,,, that should be your vibration

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that your truck made those sounds when changing lanes or after a turn. Not so sure that is drive line. Sounds like a heat shield fluttering. Cool video btw.

Have you pulled the driveshaft and greased the slip yoke's splines?

The second video, that old driveshaft appears to be too short and he probably needed greasing as well. It's woefully out of round.
Wow, you are very observant. Yes the heat shield does make a fluttering sound, usually on the highway making sweeping curve to the left...I have not greased my slip yoke, I can and will do so if it won't get grease in the transfer case like some people say.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you are very observant. Yes the heat shield does make a fluttering sound, usually on the highway making sweeping curve to the left...I have not greased my slip yoke, I can and will do so if it won't get grease in the transfer case like some people say.

Well, don't use too much and use the synthetic stuff called for in the owner's manual.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Chris may have it if you’ve noticed the heat sheiks rattling before. About lowering I didn’t need to address pinion angle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmen_1217