Strange start after battery died during oil change, video included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just leaving our '08 rear hatch open overnight b y mistake killed our Tahoe battery. Same with the dome light on our Subaru.
It's amazing that with all the technology being designed in that manufacturers don't make the electric controls intervene before something as small as a light bulb kills the battery. Just kill the current. Would that be so hard?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just leaving our '08 rear hatch open overnight b y mistake killed our Tahoe battery. Same with the dome light on our Subaru.
It's amazing that with all the technology being designed in that manufacturers don't make the electric controls intervene before something as small as a light bulb kills the battery. Just kill the current. Would that be so hard?
My 2014 BMW had this capability, so at least some manufacturers build in battery drain protections.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@EddieC Depending on how big my tin foil hat is I could say that Interstate Battery is paying GM big bucks to make sure we need to buy a new battery as often as possible

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@EddieC Depending on how big my tin foil hat is I could say that Interstate Battery is paying GM big bucks to make sure we need to buy a new battery as often as possible
In all my vehicle experience, which is way more years than I want to acknowledge, I have had nothing but unsatisfactory performance with Interstate.
I'd pick Wally World batteries over them.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does holding the throttle to the floor accomplish? I've only done this on carbureted engines that were flooded. I prime the oil system by putting oil in the filter before installation.

Why did you start the engine on your pickup when jumping your Tahoe? The sudden surge from the Tahoe's starter motor can fry the regulator in the truck.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@steve45 Holding the throttle to the floor on this platform disables the spark plugs and fuel injectors allowing the starter to turn the motor indefinitely without ignition occurring.

Whenever I jump start a car I've always done it with the "rescue" vehicle running, I've never encountered information that suggests doing it differently but I'll do my research on that.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that if the hood is not completely closed the truck does not fully go to sleep, meaning its drawing more keeping all the modules awake. So if the battery was marginal this could be what caused it to run down. A mechanic friend told me that after seeing my truck with a battery tender on it with the hood open.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Seamus That's what I think, if this Tahoe doesn't put itself to sleep it was probably sending a "open hood" message all night

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We leave doors, hood, hatch, etc open on our vehicles (07 Yukon, 12 MKX, 07 FJ, 02 Vette, 51 Chevy PU) and never have a battery problem. The body control module in each is functioning properly.
The Yukon has a 5+ yr old Duralast ProPower agm battery that was in the vehicle when we bought it 5 yrs ago.
3 out of 5 vehicles have Interstate Optima batts. We get 8+ yrs from Optima batts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts