Drivers window will not roll up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i get to work this morning, roll my window down to enter the parking garage and now it will not go back up and of course it is raining today. Anyone have any tips on how to roll it back up? Yesterday it didn’t want to go down on time. I tried again and to worked fine. I thought it was a fluke, will today it will not go back up.

Thanks,

Jason

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the door panel off.

If the window did not fall off the track or something in the regulator/lift did not break...
Most likely switch module on the door or regulator motor.

Can you open or close any other windows from the driver's side door switch?

You might try jumpering the connections on the harness to see if that will move the widow. If it does, then it is your switch module in the door.

Someone else would need to tell you which wires to try jumping, but it should be an easy DIY test.

P.S.: The switch module is not entirely held in by clips alone. There is a hidden screw near the front side of the switch module that comes in from the bottom. If you don't want to snap it, take the door panel off and remove the screw securing the switch module to the door panel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
basically it is 1 of 3 things
switch
motor
regulator
if it seems to move fine up & down recently, then I would lean more towards the switch or motor
switch failure is more common then motor failure
if you have a meter you can test to see if the motor is getting power or not
if you determine it is the switch and you need to get the window up right away you can get some wire and apply 12v to the motor to make the window go up, then replace the switch at convenience

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what he said about the screw is true be very careful taking the screw out they always break anyway, if it does you can put another screw in it from the side to keep it in place wont look exactly pretty but it works, a new handle is like $150 online if you can find the right color, otherwise you can maybe epoxy it.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the switch, i have a replacement at home that i can try on it. I just have basic hand tools with me at work so i cant check it to make sure. The other windows still go up and down as well as the door lock.

Where exactly is the scree on the switch or the trim?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch module drops into arm rest of door panel. Screw is near the front end of the switch. Inside the door panel.
Pop the panel and look at the back side of the switch. You should see it.

You can see the screw with the broken piece of plastic sticking up at the front of the cut out in this video after the guy moves it out of the way. Someone already broke it on this guys truck...
(Click the hyperlink inside the weird window below to watch the video on YouTube)

Not hard to remove the retainer screw when the entire door panel is off before trying to remove the switch assembly.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the screw fastener was added in the 2003 MY, although I don't know what year you have. From what I've heard the 2000-2002 switches just snap out, but don't break anything based on what I'm saying. Pull the door panel once and see what you have.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the screw tower is broken you can use Q-Bond, it's what I used on mine.

I've seen some info on a similar method using super glue and baking soda, but I'm not sure it's the same type of reaction.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the switch, i have a replacement at home that i can try on it. I just have basic hand tools with me at work so i cant check it to make sure. The other windows still go up and down as well as the door lock.

Where exactly is the scree on the switch or the trim?
when you pull the door panel off, take the door light connector off in the lower left corner (if equipped) you will then want to rotate the panel clockwise to about 5 0-clock then look down at the front part of the main switch assemble and the screw will be right there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skimask