Do I need to replace my oil pan? (picture inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the dreaded oil pan gasket replacement procedure and have my truck completely torn apart. Now that I finally have the oil pan out, I'm wondering if I should replace it. It looks like it's cracking all over the place. I can definitely feel the cracks, but don't know if that's a problem or not. I kinda need to get my truck back together before the week starts, but I'm wondering if I need to go running out to the parts stores tomorrow to see if I can find a replacement pan. See the picture.

PXL_20211127_042819580.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the dreaded oil pan gasket replacement procedure and have my truck completely torn apart. Now that I finally have the oil pan out, I'm wondering if I should replace it. It looks like it's cracking all over the place. I can definitely feel the cracks, but don't know if that's a problem or not. I kinda need to get my truck back together before the week starts, but I'm wondering if I need to go running out to the parts stores tomorrow to see if I can find a replacement pan. See the picture.

View attachment 356475

That is perfectly normal. It is casting flash. Put it back together.

^^^What he said. The new one would have the same. Your cracks look more pronounced because of the oil staining and gunk. Clean it and keep it. And stop using crap oil. lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, to note, the oil pan is a structural part of the LS's bottom end. It is designed to absorb and conduct shocks/loads/harmonics. If it actually was compromised anywhere near how yours appears, it'd likely be shattered and you'd have an open view of your rotating assembly.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil pan was actually worse than that. I ended up "repairing" it by sanding it with 100 grit, then 220, then 400 grit sandpaper until it was pretty much smooth. There's still a few low spots, but it's a LOT better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp