Dealer not honoring warranty work..2018 5.3 Yukon issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost did the tune... but glad that independent shop explained to me the ECM module gets a mark every time it is flashed and GM knows how many flashes GM authorized, and if there are extra that they did not, they will send you packing on the warranty claim. It speaks to the integrity of this independent mechanic, he could have installed the mod an d charge me $350, but he did not, saying do not lose your warranty and give GM any excuses to deny expensive repair work.

That idle is really low, but normal, GM is forced to do this for emissions purposes. Get a BlackBear tune and forget about all this. The idle will be raised 50 rpms or so and the motor will stop that. Won't void your warranty and GM won't know it is there.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do get it very rough at the stop in D or R, in P it is still there but almost not noticeable but defiantly there.
My 17 Yukon will have a slight rough idle when in drive at a red light. Is you rough idle still there in Park?

I used 89 or 91 and the rough idle disappeared. They just rev low.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think it is more than injectors, as all 4 are out of spec, I have asked RPM Motorsports to stop troubleshooting as this is on my dime, I am already $350 into diagnostics and rentals while truck is in warranty, 8 months old with 9,000 miles on it.

If its running rich on one side my guess would be that the O2 sensor is reading something off parameters therefore dumping more fuel. Just a guess, no real experience

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I almost did the tune... but glad that independent shop explained to me the ECM module gets a mark every time it is flashed and GM knows how many flashes GM authorized, and if there are extra that they did not, they will send you packing on the warranty claim. It speaks to the integrity of this independent mechanic, he could have installed the mod an d charge me $350, but he did not, saying do not lose your warranty and give GM any excuses to deny expensive repair work.
@BlackBearPerf --just curious about this remark. True?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like typical GM mechanic response ;)
although some tuners do trip the module count.. others dont

they havent seen or inquired about my BBP tunes

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear that response was from an independent performance shop, they happen to work on GM exclusively but they are not affiliated with GM in that sense. I actually was appreciative that they explained that to me. If Blackbear can prove it otherwise that would be fantastic. Tune may or may not be able to solve my problem. I still think there is a problem that RPM upping won't completely solve. They need to find why bank #2 is out of spec.

sounds like typical GM mechanic response ;)
although some tuners do trip the module count.. others dont

they havent seen or inquired about my BBP tunes

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the motor mounts replace due to idle issues under the TSB. My dealer was good about doing the work. The truck was fine for approx 3k miles and the the rough idle returned although not as bad before the mount change. The interesting thing now is that it’s not all the time when the engine is up to operating temp. It seems like if I get on the accelerator harder thats when it happens after coming to a stop. I have done crc intake cleaning and gone in and cleaned the throttle body. Surprisingly there was a good amount of carbon buildup for having 16k miles on the engine. I don’t know what my next step might be at the moment. Yes at times it’s annoying but most times it doesn’t bother me since the mount change. All my driving is hard stop and go. 4 to 8 mile trips, stoplights and traffic. So I am just in a waiting period. I do feel it will produce a code at some point in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do get it very rough at the stop in D or R, in P it is still there but almost not noticeable but defiantly there.

Definitely sounds like an engine mount issue.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think it is more than injectors, as all 4 are out of spec, I have asked RPM Motorsports to stop troubleshooting as this is on my dime, I am already $350 into diagnostics and rentals while truck is in warranty, 8 months old with 9,000 miles on it.

Like I said, if you really had an injector problem there WOULD be DTCs. There are so many DTCs now for slightly off fuel trim and such that there is absolutely no way there is a problem with those injectors and you don't have a DTC. What equipment is this shop using to test the injectors? Those numbers you posted in the first page look nothing like I've ever seen from the AFIT, which is the proper tool to test these injectors. If they aren't using an AFIT with the appropriate SIDI DMU and connector adapter for 17+ (which altogether costs upwards of $5000) then those numbers are absolutely meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE