Cooling Fans Running - Temperature Gauge not working - Yukon (and other models), my data, experience and rigged fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
hey interceptor589. do you have part numbers for those parts? I ran into this issue two days ago. replaced temperature sensor in auto zone parking lot because we were traveling. car ran great fro two days on the brand new sensor and then the issue resurfaced again today
@zcb350fb These are the part numbers that I used. YMMV.

12608814 - Coolant Temp Sensor ~$30
12674639 - Outlet Assembly w/Thermostat ~$50

You'll also need about a gallon of Dexcool, as you'll lose some when replacing the sensor and thermostat.

Clearing the code with a pocket scanner will temporarily cure the problem, but it will only continue happening until this repair is made. If you have a pocket scanner, it may not be a bad idea to keep it in your vehicle until you're able to do the repair. I noticed that when my engine light came on before the repair, I could simply pull off the road, clear the code, and systems would temporarily resume as normal.

Terry2015Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Boom! Guy stops in for one post and it's a winner!
Hi Grady,
I had the same issue and I noticed that temperature was running "low" after clearing the code. The problem was a stuck thermostat. Took me less than an hour to install new one and all issues are resolved. I made a quick video on steps.....Hope this helps.

sandyjk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are in the midst of fixing this. Replace the coolant temperature gauge and the thermostat, then disconnect the battery for a minute or so. Reconnect and you should be good to go. We replaced the coolant temp gauge twice and the fan behaved for a few days, and then it would blow again, no engine temp registered, and it would continue blowing for six minutes when I'd shut off the engine. Apparently the underlying issue is that the thermostat gets air in it and stops working. There are youtube tutorials on how to replace both items.

hatinthering

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had exactly the same symptoms (15 Tahoe). Replaced temp sensor, but problem resurfaced a couple weeks later.

The permanent fix was a new thermostat....didn't realize until replacing that I was never really coming up to full temp (gauge straight up), it had always been running on the cool side of normal. Probably confused the computer and threw into default mode of fans on and '0' temp gauge.

Zero issues after replacing thermostat, and gauge points straight up now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan