Dash-cam using existing Cameras - GM - R U Listening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
A
Reaction score
that's correct. developing something for use in a vehicle that is made by a multi billion trillion? dollar corporation is not fiddlesticks, it's not as simple as making some kids game to download on your phone. HUGE barriers involved and even if you did manage to come up with a "good idea" you better have a gang of lawyers behind your back and deep pockets.
I don't think you realize the full scope of what all is involved and what gm's plans are, they are already dumping the current platform and moving on. no more carplay no more android auto, they are making there own platform so people like me and you are just a money tree for them, just like all the other big company's
all you're doing doubling down on your rant by making excuses why YOU think it can't or won't be done by GM or a 3rd party.

again, please provide evidence to back up your statement when you wrote "everything I have read say's gm has locked it up for security reasons, no 3rd party's are allowed access except 1 that they partnered with for supercharger upgrades"

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been nearly 3 full model years on this rig with gms system and nobody has been able to break it to do mods outside of the supercharger that was approved by gm before it happened. If these performance companies who actively specialize in doing this cant get into it yet, it is likely it wont happen outside of special circumstances approved by gm and at a huge costto the owner.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all you're doing doubling down on your rant by making excuses why YOU think it can't or won't be done by GM or a 3rd party.

again, please provide evidence to back up your statement when you wrote "everything I have read say's gm has locked it up for security reasons, no 3rd party's are allowed access except 1 that they partnered with for supercharger upgrades"
don't take out word for it, go out to your vehicle and see what app's are available to download for anything, presuming it was so easy to do there should be a big long list right?
mine is 5 years old and has had plenty of time to have things created and approved yet the list is pretty freaking small i think less than 10 including pandora and a couple other big name products, certainly nothing that would utilize anything on the vehicle other than the wifi I can add i think 5 more camera's but there useless for anything other than what they were designed for. i could pay another $500-800 for a tool to see out the back camera or turn the mirror camera on when the blinker is on while driving wow what a deal and it's not a GM tool
and to get into the ecm computer for a tune it cost me I think around $650 and took about 3 weeks or so (software algorithm had to be downloaded from the vehicle and sent to new zealand to be deciphered) , yours is not even able to accessed (yet) and might not ever be.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the thing that makes it so difficult is LIABILITY if you pay attention to the news Tesla is getting reamed recently because of there camera's they already are not allowed in china then it comes to light that employees were sharing video on there internal network of things the camera's picked up.
these new GM vehicles are all internally connected, electric steering, electrically controlled braking, etc. if they allow access it opens up a whole can of worms

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
don't take out word for it, go out to your vehicle and see what app's are available to download for anything, presuming it was so easy to do there should be a big long list right?
mine is 5 years old and has had plenty of time to have things created and approved yet the list is pretty freaking small i think less than 10 including pandora and a couple other big name products, certainly nothing that would utilize anything on the vehicle other than the wifi I can add i think 5 more camera's but there useless for anything other than what they were designed for. i could pay another $500-800 for a tool to see out the back camera or turn the mirror camera on when the blinker is on while driving wow what a deal and it's not a GM tool
and to get into the ecm computer for a tune it cost me I think around $650 and took about 3 weeks or so (software algorithm had to be downloaded from the vehicle and sent to new zealand to be deciphered) , yours is not even able to accessed (yet) and might not ever be.
Your still ranting your ‘opinions’ and have yet to backup your claim

I’m seeing a pattern here

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your still ranting your ‘opinions’ and have yet to backup your claim

I’m seeing a pattern here
did you go look at what apps you can download on your 2023 vehicle? here is the list
  • Stitcher™
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
  • Siri® Eyes Free voice-activated controls
  • Pandora® Internet Radio
  • Text Message Alerts
  • Podcasts
  • Social media
  • Audiobooks
  • Music streaming
do any of those look like what you are wanting to do?
those look like developer apps from big company's to me that do not allow system access other than entertainment
do you see any that allow you to do something simple like open the sunroof? that would be pretty easy
how hard could that be? that shouldn't break any security protocols right?
i'm not ranting, I am simply stating the facts that something like what you want is never going to happen unless a 3rd party cracks the security and makes something that will allow access to the integrated systems.
OR gm later comes out with the feature on there future vehicles, they are done with these already, the best you might get is some bug fixes for the existing system.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
did you go look at what apps you can download on your 2023 vehicle? here is the list
  • Stitcher™
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
  • Siri® Eyes Free voice-activated controls
  • Pandora® Internet Radio
  • Text Message Alerts
  • Podcasts
  • Social media
  • Audiobooks
  • Music streaming
do any of those look like what you are wanting to do?
those look like developer apps from big company's to me that do not allow system access other than entertainment
do you see any that allow you to do something simple like open the sunroof? that would be pretty easy
how hard could that be? that shouldn't break any security protocols right?
i'm not ranting, I am simply stating the facts that something like what you want is never going to happen unless a 3rd party cracks the security and makes something that will allow access to the integrated systems.
OR gm later comes out with the feature on there future vehicles, they are done with these already, the best you might get is some bug fixes for the existing system.
this is my LAST response to your pathetic rants...

first and foremost - you continue to avoid substantiating your claim ""everything I have read say's gm has locked it up for security reasons, no 3rd party's are allowed access except 1 that they partnered with for supercharger upgrades" -
-you continue to beat the distraction drum to take focus away from your lies (or shall we call it spreading misinformation to appease the delicate )

I have stood behind what I said and provided evidence to support my claims

as far as your childish rants - you are NOT stating facts - merely negative opinions - one can only hope that you stop being so negative and actually contribute to moving forward rather than finding reasons and excuses to fail - what a sad life you must lead

and GM has included the OTA functionality on the 2021's, so to make such a claim that that they are 'done with these already' is rather premature -

Now, please go along and try to hiJack someone else's thread with your Debbi downer attitude.

Again - I will NOT respond to any more of your pathetic rents - so if you feel the need to have the last word - the stage is yours - be all you can me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65