Dash-cam using existing Cameras - GM - R U Listening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure why you are stuck on parasitic draws for a camera - which is only a concern when the vehicle is not running, but I have had several over the years and have not had issues unless the vehicle for a week or more - this would be an easy obstacle to contend with - program it to turn off after some predetermined time frame or not use it in that way at all...

But using the onboard cameras for that application (security when parked) is NOT what I am wanting - I want a dash cam while driving.
Because I believe that that is the reason they're not doing it currently. Right, so when the car sits for a week or two and has cats jumping on and off it at night the battery is going to get run down and folks will start complaining. I doubt they'd use just one camera since they are all over the trucks now.

I do see dash cams being sold as accessories now, wonder if there is special programming to preserve battery life?

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally can't see the cameras on these vehicles using too much battery power even if they did record things when the vehicle is not running. My cameras I have mounted around the exterior of my house run on 2 AA batteries and have been up for 6 months now with no battery issues. Car battery has a lot more reserve than that. But yeah the fact these rigs are covered in cameras and you can't use them as a dash cam or lane assist is pretty stupid

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
everything I have read say's gm has locked it up for security reasons, no 3rd party's are allowed access except 1 that they partnered with for supercharger upgrades.
please elaborate and share your findings - I have shared my evidence to the contrary

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please elaborate and share your findings - I have shared my evidence to the contrary
lol, you probably have no idea the amount of hoops that have to be jumped thru to get anything done, nor the amount of money required.
*Limitations and restrictions apply. Test vehicle(s) only. Distribution of application to customer vehicles, if first approved by GM at GM's discretion, requires a separate Commercial Agreement.
I also doubt any of those high earning nerds are on this forum nor pay attention to it.
maybe try some developer forums

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
lol, you probably have no idea the amount of hoops that have to be jumped thru to get anything done, nor the amount of money required.
*Limitations and restrictions apply. Test vehicle(s) only. Distribution of application to customer vehicles, if first approved by GM at GM's discretion, requires a separate Commercial Agreement.
I also doubt any of those high earning nerds are on this forum nor pay attention to it.
maybe try some developer forums
so you don't have evidence to backup your statement when you wrote "everything I have read say's gm has locked it up for security reasons, no 3rd party's are allowed access except 1 that they partnered with for supercharger upgrades"

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so you don't have evidence to backup your statement when you wrote "everything I have read say's gm has locked it up for security reasons, no 3rd party's are allowed access except 1 that they partnered with for supercharger upgrades"
that's correct. developing something for use in a vehicle that is made by a multi billion trillion? dollar corporation is not fiddlesticks, it's not as simple as making some kids game to download on your phone. HUGE barriers involved and even if you did manage to come up with a "good idea" you better have a gang of lawyers behind your back and deep pockets.
I don't think you realize the full scope of what all is involved and what gm's plans are, they are already dumping the current platform and moving on. no more carplay no more android auto, they are making there own platform so people like me and you are just a money tree for them, just like all the other big company's

Status
Not open for further replies.