2022 Android Automotive OS and Digital Cluster - Lacking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightymouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I upgraded from a '17 Yukon Denali to '22. Even with the new digital cluster and conversion to Android Automotive OS for infotainment, the overall platform still seems very dated compared to today's market.

1) The Android OS seems more like a beta. The apps are limited to audiobooks, music and podcasts only. I miss the weather apps.

2) The digital cluster is mediocre at best. It's customizable, but has limited functionality; there were a number of sub menu options removed. Due to migrating to Android OS, when the cluster is configured to navigation (without destination input), the map no longer shows, just a compass arrow. When there is destination input, turn by turn arrows will display as usual. Navigation options to start and stop navigation from the cluster are no longer available. HUD only displays turn by turn navigation when the embedded google maps app is used. Also, when the cluster is configured to show media, the option for the actual album covers no longer display, only text format. There is no longer an option to view and select albums and songs to play from the cluster. The all-digital cluster display may be more appealing and configurable, but the prior generations cluster provided more optional settings.

3)As mentioned in other posts, due to Android OS migration, the option to view navigation from RES was removed and RES apps are no longer available.

4)Also, it would've been great to have the option to view the cameras and maps on the cluster, such as many other vehicles out on the market today with similar price points. You can purchase a new Hyundai for half the price with these cluster features (camera and map views).

These aren't deal breakers, but they have caused me to question my purchase. For the price point, gm should've put in more effort. I've already seen several used '22 Yukon Denali's on the market, which isn't surprising. I was excited for the digital cluster update and migration to Android Automotive OS, but have been left disappointed with what feels like unfinished product. Hopefully, there will be updates to Android OS and more google play apps available in the future. For any other '22 owners, what are your thoughts regarding the new digital cluster and Android Automotive OS?

therealbofa

Reaction score
It does feel like features are being throttled but that gives me hope that we’re just a simple update away from resolving a lot of these limitations. The website says 200+ apps and theres nowhere near that many obviously. I’m also a little puzzled that we can’t change the color of the vehicle in the cluster. It’s a small detail but I could do that in my Wrangler with a tiny lcd screen 7 years ago.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haah, wait till some 14 year old kid hacks one and drives it away remotely from his bedroom on the other side of the country.
just a matter of time

OP
OP
M

mightymouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It does feel like features are being throttled but that gives me hope that we’re just a simple update away from resolving a lot of these limitations. The website says 200+ apps and theres nowhere near that many obviously. I’m also a little puzzled that we can’t change the color of the vehicle in the cluster. It’s a small detail but I could do that in my Wrangler with a tiny lcd screen 7 years ago.
An update addressing these limitations would be great, but I'd be surprised if the cluster has the capability for software/feature updates. I have a feeling the clusters will be as is. Once we get through the chip shortage, I'm sure GM will add updated cluster features to future year models. Let's hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14