Dan's ratty truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting I just got a call from the machine shop and they noticed the rocker arm bolts are hanging into the intake runner of the PRC220 CNC ported heads. Never seen this before but I suppose I never looked for it either. Stocker rockers with CHE trunion and stock bolts. View attachment 266945
That seems wrong to me. You would think that would cause a slight leak since the rocker bolts aren’t installed with thread sealer. But in reality, maybe even OEM unported heads have the bolts protruding and we just don’t know it?

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting I just got a call from the machine shop and they noticed the rocker arm bolts are hanging into the intake runner of the PRC220 CNC ported heads. Never seen this before but I suppose I never looked for it either. Stocker rockers with CHE trunion and stock bolts. View attachment 266945

My TEA 5.3 heads on my camaro did this. Tolley did some pretty serious work on them. Just make sure you put some sealer on the threads or they will leak. I had to take mine back apart and put the sealer on it...

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems wrong to me. You would think that would cause a slight leak since the rocker bolts aren’t installed with thread sealer. But in reality, maybe even OEM unported heads have the bolts protruding and we just don’t know it?
My TEA 5.3 heads on my camaro did this. Tolley did some pretty serious work on them. Just make sure you put some sealer on the threads or they will leak. I had to take mine back apart and put the sealer on it...

I don't think stock heads have it protrude to this extent but I know you still have to RTV them so there's no oil leakage. The shop is going to replace with a slightly shorter bolt and call it good. Wonder how much performance this could kill.

Just surprised there isn't more info on this or the CHE kit doesn't come with shorter bolts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s interesting to me is that like you said, the stock bolts must protrude a bit- I doubt they're machining 1/2-3/4” of material there- yet there’s nothing said in the service manual about using thread sealer on the rocker bolts. Or RTV. I haven’t heard about using either until now. Granted I’m talking stock unported heads but it seems those bolts would be protruding on them too, just not as far.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s interesting to me is that like you said, the stock bolts must protrude a bit- I doubt they're machining 1/2-3/4” of material there- yet there’s nothing said in the service manual about using thread sealer on the rocker bolts. Or RTV. I haven’t heard about using either until now. Granted I’m talking stock unported heads but it seems those bolts would be protruding on them too, just not as far.

I have an untouched 862 on my shelf on standby for if I drop another valve. I'll look to see if there's a holt protruding tonight, but I don't think there is. The book that I read about it in is the one I've recommended a few times on other threads, I'll try to post the segment referring to this tonight as well.

threw them ***** in the garbage
so i can come by n grab them

as said yea shorter bolts and some thread sealer, it happens with the ported heads

Yeah these heads a junk I'll probably put another set of 862s with 2" valve cut into them since they are such power houses. :joke:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an untouched 862 on my shelf on standby for if I drop another valve. I'll look to see if there's a holt protruding tonight, but I don't think there is. The book that I read about it in is the one I've recommended a few times on other threads, I'll try to post the segment referring to this tonight as well.

99% sure they aren't protruding in stock form but there is a dimple you will see in the runner. When you port them, they cut that out.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made a stop by my buddy's shop during work hours and in an incognito work truck to catch him off guard and give him shit for not starting my axle. Well, he surprised me and it will be done this afternoon! Seriously an awesome dude to work with. Can't pick it up until tomorrow unfortunately but I should get some teaser pics tonight.

20210106_154927.jpg 20210106_154925.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99% sure they aren't protruding in stock form but there is a dimple you will see in the runner. When you port them, they cut that out.
That makes sense. I couldn’t see them removing enough material but if there was a big bulge where the bolts are then yeah. Otherwise you would have to use thread sealer on a stock setup and you don’t. Sure seems like these companies doing the porting would be sure the buyer knows that.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get home until way late so I didn't have time to check on anything. Spent a couple hours actually helping lay the powder for my axle. Wasn't allowed to take any pics or videos of the process but it's pretty awesome if you never seen it done. This is a 3 stage powder with very specific heat cycles and cure times, pretty scientific stuff.

Anyway here's some indirect vs direct light differences. I think under the truck it will appear black 99% of the time but if head lights or something hit it then it will look cool.
20210106_190222.jpg
20210106_190217.jpg 20210106_182142.jpg 20210106_182150.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu