46and2008Denali - Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
46and2008Denali

46and2008Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After that really just had to put the sway bar links back on and get her back on the ground. In hindsight wish I had replace sway bar links front and back (at least). The rear ones were a pain to get off because you have to put a hex head in through the middle to keep the bolt from spinning with the nut. The head of that bolt was pretty rusty and almost deformed, didn't really have its "hex" shape anymore so I had a hard time holding it still AND not getting my bit pretty well stuck in there. When something's that awkward to take off you don't feel super confident putting it back on. Also the sway bar sits so low now, doesn't look quite right with the factory links. I didn't have any clearance issues with other parts or anything, like the DJM endlinks seem to attempt to solve. I'm eyeing the Hotchkis front and rear sway bar replacement kit, although there may be a more economical solution.

So... officially back on the ground

41.jpg

At the baseline picture spot

42.jpg

And man I was super excited at this point, and was looking like I was going to catch the second half of the early NFL window, so didn't spend much time admiring because the pièce de résistance was yet to come.

While I had been doing all of this I had been layering/curing coats of Avalon King Armor Shield IX on the wheels in my living room. As an aside, I did a lot of research about which DIY ceramic coat to use and couldn't get away from the Armor Shield IX. I thought it applied well, and I bought enough to do the entire truck, and the wifes GX470. No reports yet on how well it works/holds up, but they looked great after the application. I was lucky that these wheels were brand new so the initial prep wasn't so bad since they hadn't seen the road yet.

So I guess that makes it time for the reveal.

Giovanna - Koko Kuture Kapan 24s on 295/35/24 Nitto 420V

43.jpg

OP
OP
46and2008Denali

46and2008Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And there she is!

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

I couldn't have been more thrilled. I agonized over the wheel choice (for like... a realllllly long time) because making the purchase and committing to shipping them here is so final, its not like you can change your mind. I had them shipped from AudioCityUSA.com out in CA, really helpful guys out there given my somewhat unique shipping requirements.

Made for a heck of a weekend, but love driving her more than ever and proud of what I accomplished. I'm an actuary by trade working in offshore reinsurance, so this is definitely NOT my day job.

OP
OP
46and2008Denali

46and2008Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went with the 295s over the 305s because I liked the marginally smaller sidewall and wasn't concerned about the 10mm less width. I was concerned about getting these things all the way here and having major rubbing issues. So 295s seemed like the more responsible/practical option and I felt pretty good about making that choice.

That said, I had rubbing on all 4 corners right away. It's nothing difficult to fix with a heat gun and some 2x4s, especially in the back. I used the 2x4 trick in the front to create a bit of extra room behind the tires. Its kinda nervy initially to suck that 2x4 in with the steering wheel, but wasn't a big deal in the end. You can see my wimpy heat gun there, got a new one on the way in anticipation of some heavy use on the audio build.

47.jpg

I spent like an hour total messing with the liners and have been driving around feeling like I eliminated 95% of the rub. It's just barely rubbing on occasion, but nothing concerning.

OP
OP
46and2008Denali

46and2008Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And here's a couple nice shots I got at the gym first thing the other morning. The rear has definitely settled over driving for a few days, ended up with a slight squat which I'm going to first attempt to fix by tweaking the autoride sensor links. I really don't want to put the spacers in, so hoping I can get the desired result without them. I'll report back with some measurements (by the way the Chevy lean is SO real on this truck... annoying).

48.jpg

Can see the LED bar on the headlights in this one.... just LOVE the way she looks

50.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there she is!

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

I couldn't have been more thrilled. I agonized over the wheel choice (for like... a realllllly long time) because making the purchase and committing to shipping them here is so final, its not like you can change your mind. I had them shipped from AudioCityUSA.com out in CA, really helpful guys out there given my somewhat unique shipping requirements.

Made for a heck of a weekend, but love driving her more than ever and proud of what I accomplished. I'm an actuary by trade working in offshore reinsurance, so this is definitely NOT my day job.
Awesome job, nice choice on the wheels too. I bet you’ll get a lot of attention there.

OP
OP
46and2008Denali

46and2008Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Minor updates.

Got one of the new batteries here and dropped it in. I ordered a XS Power D3400, but they mistakenly sent an A3400. But lucky me, although I didn't even know the A series existed, it turns out they are the same as the D series except they have a vintage black case, which I love! So I ordered another one, this time on purpose, keeping with the blackout theme wherever possible.

51.jpg
52.jpg

Also did the Airaid MIT Jr. Really easy install overall and cleans up the engine bay nicely once you get that factory monstrosity out of there. I'm no engine builder but hard to make sense out of the intake tube that you pull out. Definitely noticed a subtle change in the sound, perhaps a bit deeper/growlier though not any louder. Really like it, and can feel a difference in acceleration, particularly say from 15-45 mph. It's nothing crazy but certainly noticeable, can't wait to pair this up with Magnaflow 12909 and resonator delete.

All the underhood wiring is old and fixing to be replaced as will be adding the second battery underhood, redoing big 3/4 and laying some groundwork for the audio build in next couple of weeks. Can see the A3400 tucked back there installed in last pic.

Before:

53.jpg

With engine cover removed

54.jpg

Factory vs Airaid

55.jpg

And all installed

56.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minor updates.

Got one of the new batteries here and dropped it in. I ordered a XS Power D3400, but they mistakenly sent an A3400. But lucky me, although I didn't even know the A series existed, it turns out they are the same as the D series except they have a vintage black case, which I love! So I ordered another one, this time on purpose, keeping with the blackout theme wherever possible.

51.jpg
52.jpg

Also did the Airaid MIT Jr. Really easy install overall and cleans up the engine bay nicely once you get that factory monstrosity out of there. I'm no engine builder but hard to make sense out of the intake tube that you pull out. Definitely noticed a subtle change in the sound, perhaps a bit deeper/growlier though not any louder. Really like it, and can feel a difference in acceleration, particularly say from 15-45 mph. It's nothing crazy but certainly noticeable, can't wait to pair this up with Magnaflow 12909 and resonator delete.

All the underhood wiring is old and fixing to be replaced as will be adding the second battery underhood, redoing big 3/4 and laying some groundwork for the audio build in next couple of weeks. Can see the A3400 tucked back there installed in last pic.

Before:

53.jpg

With engine cover removed

54.jpg

Factory vs Airaid

55.jpg

And all installed

56.jpg
Now you need some low profile black zip ties.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4C4Y22/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_tWdeGbHGFW3ZN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Came out great! You know--you could've used bungee cords to hold up the calipers. I actually like them better. You did a great job. Hopefully you have a good alarm on there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96