Considering Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that.

So do you think that using auto stop would help reduce emissions fouling if I'm sitting in traffic a lot?

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can agree. The mileage really ticks up if 65-70 mph. A lot of the videos with high MPG are at lower speeds and I dont know if the AC is on. I get 24 MPG easily. Anything above takes effort and a lower speed. My wife has a MB GLC300 4 cyl turbo. For perspective she averages 22 and a high of 27 mpg. This huge truck is getting 24 mpg which is insane. Love the torque, pulls strong in city driving.
The B Duramax was a must for me, unfortunately there has not been any white frost 2WD Denali XL here in Florida that could be had. Found one for 15k over sticker, not an option. So landed this Sierra Denali with ultimate package and am very impressed and happy for now. When the insanity stops will flip into the Denali Yukon XL. This Duramax is a winner though!
I do my own maintenance here, rockauto has best price on the oil and filters. 7 qts and a filter. No more than any gasser. Fuel filter is cheap and easy to get to. I too am in honeymoon stage but been researching for 3 years. 2 months in seems like its going to be a good ride.
I think IMHO that GM has long been the leader in engine efficiency. My Dad had an '88 Bonneville that got a 36mpg avg on a 1,500 mile drive in the Maritimes (watching out for those Mounties, eh). That was the v6 3800 "Iron Duke". My '95 Caprice with the L99 263ci V8 always 24-25mpg on long drives.

Last edited:

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think IMHO that GM has long been the leader in engine efficiency. My Dad had an '88 Bonneville that got a 36mpg avg on a 1,500 mile drive in the Maritimes (watching out for those Mounties, eh). That was the v6 3800 "Iron Duke". My '95 Caprice with the L99 263ci V8 always 24-25mpg on long drives.
Iron Duke was the 2.5 Litre, four cylinder, originally built by Pontiac. Later marketed as Tech IV and labeled 4Tech by GM corporate. Never offered in Bonneville. 3.8 Litre was originally built by Buick. Later marketed as 3800 by GM corporate. Was offered in Bonneville.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do remember the Iron Duke 2.5 engines way back in some models. Always rolled my eyes when I saw the painted blue valve cover.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iron Duke was the 2.5 Litre, four cylinder, originally built by Pontiac. Later marketed as Tech IV and labeled 4Tech by GM corporate. Never offered in Bonneville. 3.8 Litre was originally built by Buick. Later marketed as 3800 by GM corporate. Was offered in Bonneville.

Oh well. I was mistaken, then. Anyway, it was an iron block V6 3800 that put out 180+/- hp and got great milage.