Considering Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srm51475

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm considering a Tahoe or Yukon diesel but have concerns about being the first model year with these engines. I know the Silverado and Sierra have had the diesel for a year or two and wonder if you guys would be more comfortable with the first year SUV diesel knowing it has been in the trucks for a while. Or do you think it could still have problems with the SUV platform? Thanks.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
It’s the same platform, I’d consider the truck reliability to be directly correlated to the SUV.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same platform as the truck so no worries. The only thing different engine wise at least on the V8s from the pickups this year is the fuel management. The 2021 Tahoes and Yukon are more advanced and have a fuel control system that can shut down up to 7 cylinders if my memory serves. Not sure if the diesels do this but it is an awesome engine with torque right from the get go. My next one this year will be a diesel for sure :) If you have the chance drive all three engines. The diesels are rare right now but the 1500s have lots of them our there with the 10 speed so it would be pretty close to feel the get up and go on it :)

Z71orAT4

Reaction score
I have a Yukon Denali on order with the the Duramax Diesel with a current TPW of January 25th, so with any luck it should arrive at my dealership by the middle of February. The dealership (Cadillac/GMC/Buick)introduced me to their master technician who told me that the Duramax engine has been bulletproof so far. Of course anything can go wrong but my sense is this will be a terrific vehicle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a Yukon Denali on order with the the Duramax Diesel with a current TPW of January 25th, so with any luck it should arrive at my dealership by the middle of February. The dealership (Cadillac/GMC/Buick)introduced me to their master technician who told me that the Duramax engine has been bulletproof so far. Of course anything can go wrong but my sense is this will be a terrific vehicle.

For the price you are paying for this rig, it better be bulletproof. Post pics of it and the engine compartment when you get it, please.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Not worried about it either, both engine and tranny have been out and together long enough that this shouldn't be an issue at all. Could possibly be the best drivetrain available for this vehicle. Probably one of the last Diesel SUV's that will ever be built...

Tried to order this week but my dealer said they are waiting on allocation ( And they are a big Midwestern dealer... ) He said that between the 3 week Arlington plant shutdown and this Impending Infotainment computer chips shortages, build rates are going to slow and delivery times are sliding further and further out every week...

MJenn76

Reaction score
Yep, Not worried about it either, both engine and tranny have been out and together long enough that this shouldn't be an issue at all. Could possibly be the best drivetrain available for this vehicle. Probably one of the last Diesel SUV's that will ever be built...

Tried to order this week but my dealer said they are waiting on allocation ( And they are a big Midwestern dealer... ) He said that between the 3 week Arlington plant shutdown and this Impending Infotainment computer chips shortages, build rates are going to slow and delivery times are sliding further and further out every week...
I would try a different dealer. Google "Gm production lead times". Several sites for fleet dealers are showing 14-16 weeks which has been steady since October.

https://www.arifleet.com/resources/updates-projections/lead-times-downtime-production-delays/

https://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-gm.html

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently built a house and almost to a person, the contractors all own diesel trucks. Most have it for when they have to tow something heavy, but another reason offered was long term reliability and lower overall operating costs.

Recently, I noticed when the conversation gets around to their trucks, most feel their trucks don’t deliver on most of the above, perhaps with the one exception of towing and even then, the differences are pretty paltry if at all.

Almost to a person they will admit their overall operating costs are more for their diesel truck than an equivalent gasoline version.

Many say they will move to a gasoline version the next time they buy, almost always within the same brand loyalty. The ones that plan to stay put with diesel, openly admit, when everything is totaled up, it will cost them more.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I recently built a house and almost to a person, the contractors all own diesel trucks. Most have it for when they have to tow something heavy, but another reason offered was long term reliability and lower overall operating costs.

Recently, I noticed when the conversation gets around to their trucks, most feel their trucks don’t deliver on most of the above, perhaps with the one exception of towing and even then, the differences are pretty paltry if at all.

Almost to a person they will admit their overall operating costs are more for their diesel truck than an equivalent gasoline version.

Many say they will move to a gasoline version the next time they buy, almost always within the same brand loyalty. The ones that plan to stay put with diesel, openly admit, when everything is totaled up, it will cost them more.

Did any of them volunteer that when they kept the rigs that the diesel engines last longer as long as the upkeep/maintenance is done as needed? That is the one thing that I have noticed in my shops, that the diesels would come in with 200k to 400k miles and still run like a top as long as maintenance was done as needed and they did not put off any needed repairs. As long as the transmission held up, they did not have major cost repairs typically. Diesels require a fuel filter but no plugs or wires. They do need other things that gas engines don't use but typically at much longer intervals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny