Considering Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I concur with what @wsteele reported, the economic advantages of diesel faded away 20 years ago. I can do a pretty sharp cost/benefit calculation and it’s been a wash for a long time.

When I buy a diesel -I do have one- it’s for the operating characteristics not to save $$. They are pleasant to tow with, especially at altitude.

Modern diesels are highly stressed with more specific output hp/liter compared to previous decades, with higher injection pressures, complex emission controls, etc. The mean time to failure on these won’t differ much from gasoline engines. There were some rumblings in the automotive press about design life when the latest generation of half ton diesels from the big three came to market. But it was quickly glossed over.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did any of them volunteer that when they kept the rigs that the diesel engines last longer as long as the upkeep/maintenance is done as needed? That is the one thing that I have noticed in my shops, that the diesels would come in with 200k to 400k miles and still run like a top as long as maintenance was done as needed and they did not put off any needed repairs. As long as the transmission held up, they did not have major cost repairs typically. Diesels require a fuel filter but no plugs or wires. They do need other things that gas engines don't use but typically at much longer intervals.

I think the thing that appears most irksome to the guys that have flatly stated they are going back to gas is how frustrated they are at the cost of ongoing out of warranty repair work. Seems a lot of the things that would be considered engine accessories have pretty high failure rates and the cost of those components are very high. I have owned quite a few diesels long ago and none had the kind of issues these guys talk about.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an owner of 3 of them, the single biggest issue is the emissions controls. That has been their only downfall in my book. Any work I've had done has been covered under the vehicles warranty or federal emissions warranty....I go 10K on oil changes, Use Wally World DEF, and compared to my last gassers that used premium fuel only, I'm way ahead in fuel expenses. Diesel is .40 cheaper than Premium where I am, and I go 40% further on it. My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee goes 600+ miles on a tank, and my wifes F pace gets 40+ mpg on the highway. No petrol vehicle will ever come close. I used to own a RAM hemi and it was 100.00 a week in fuel. Now I go 2 weeks or longer on one tank.
My hopes are that the Yukon Denali will give me 25+ MPG in a package that will allow my family to all go in one vehicle vs having to take 2 all the time and transport my grandkids all over the state for school competitions and college visits that are upcoming. I plan on buying the GM extended warranty to get me to 5/60...

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
As an owner of 3 of them, the single biggest issue is the emissions controls. That has been their only downfall in my book. Any work I've had done has been covered under the vehicles warranty or federal emissions warranty....I go 10K on oil changes, Use Wally World DEF, and compared to my last gassers that used premium fuel only, I'm way ahead in fuel expenses. Diesel is .40 cheaper than Premium where I am, and I go 40% further on it. My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee goes 600+ miles on a tank, and my wifes F pace gets 40+ mpg on the highway. No petrol vehicle will ever come close. I used to own a RAM hemi and it was 100.00 a week in fuel. Now I go 2 weeks or longer on one tank.
My hopes are that the Yukon Denali will give me 25+ MPG in a package that will allow my family to all go in one vehicle vs having to take 2 all the time and transport my grandkids all over the state for school competitions and college visits that are upcoming. I plan on buying the GM extended warranty to get me to 5/60...
GM no longer has extended warranty. They are all off brand.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM no longer has extended warranty. They are all off brand.

Not true.. You can buy a true GM extension (2 years /24k..) to your factory warranty no deductible. Mirrors your factory warranty...

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true.. You can buy a true GM extension (2 years /24k..) to your factory warranty no deductible. Mirrors your factory warranty...
I was also told by the dealer that GM no longer offers their own extended warranty. Have a link you can share with any info?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think maybe the difference in what the guys I know feel about cost of ownership of their diesels and yours, likely is centered on how many miles they put on truck between purchases. Most of these guys are well into the hundred(s) K range on the Odometer before they are ready for their next buy. What they all seem to agree on is the out of warranty cost of ownership on their diesel is very disappointing.

Also, while all agree the mileage is way better on their diesel versus a gas alternative, they are looking at engines that run fine on 87 octane and that is fully 15% cheaper here than the diesel alternative. Throw in most can buy "Top Tier" 87 octane regular here at Costco for about $2/gal versus the roughly $2.55/gal diesel will run them, the actual out of pocket gas costs savings are not what they might appear when looking at the Monroney sticker.

It sounds like you have it all worked out for your needs. I am just reporting what many around here who have been devout diesel owners for many generations of trucks are saving about their next purchase. These guys pay close attention to their costs over the life of their truck.