Considering Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with all the modern filters etc. diesel fumes still contain more harmful particles per volume than gasoline engine fumes. Now granted, when driving this isn’t an issue but it can be an issue when idling in your driveway with windows open and /or kids playing in the driveway. Maybe no big deal to most but it’s still worth thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also told by the dealer that GM no longer offers their own extended warranty. Have a link you can share with any info?

This is what I see..

GMC OPTIONAL EXTENDED LIMITED WARRANTY†
The optional Extended Limited Warranty may be selected for new GMC vehicles only at the time of vehicle purchase. When you choose the Extended Limited Warranty, your coverage is 5 years/60,000 miles, whichever comes first. GMC Extended Limited Warranty has no deductible and the entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct defects in materials or workmanship, excluding routine maintenance. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period. Extended Limited Warranty is only available at the time of new vehicle purchase. See dealer for pricing.

This warranty is NOT a service agreement, nor does it say like other plans, backed by AMT warranty. It is a no deductible straight 2/24 extension of your factory warranty. Does not exclude any items other than the normal wear items, etc. I'm not a GM expert, but since it can ONLY be bought at time of deal at a dealer, by a dealer, and is good at any dealer that where I get the Backed and payed/serviced by GM, I think GM underwrites it.... If I'm wrong please set me straight...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do know that the dealers also sell aftermarket warranties as well. The dealer does not sell just GM, Ford, Dodge.....etc. At least they all used to do that when I was in my shops.

Also, just because it says GMC on it does not mean that GMC is backing it. Again, I could be wrong. I don't see where it says the work has to be done at a dealer. Since I have never ever bought an extended warranty, I am not aware of how a GMC warranty would work as far as it telling you where the work has to be done.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think maybe the difference in what the guys I know feel about cost of ownership of their diesels and yours, likely is centered on how many miles they put on truck between purchases. Most of these guys are well into the hundred(s) K range on the Odometer before they are ready for their next buy. What they all seem to agree on is the out of warranty cost of ownership on their diesel is very disappointing.

Also, while all agree the mileage is way better on their diesel versus a gas alternative, they are looking at engines that run fine on 87 octane and that is fully 15% cheaper here than the diesel alternative. Throw in most can buy "Top Tier" 87 octane regular here at Costco for about $2/gal versus the roughly $2.55/gal diesel will run them, the actual out of pocket gas costs savings are not what they might appear when looking at the Monroney sticker.

It sounds like you have it all worked out for your needs. I am just reporting what many around here who have been devout diesel owners for many generations of trucks are saving about their next purchase. These guys pay close attention to their costs over the life of their truck.

I can't argue with that logic. If you are working them hard, using them in a commercial setting and driving them till the wheels fall off with employees who may abuse them /don't care...
Prob a gasser may work best..... Especially if you expensing your fuel to a job. Most work vehicles are bare bones, lowest engine choice, no frills vehicles that most possibly run on 87. Easiest to fix with cheap parts, widely available etc. Again prob a good choice.

But if you run a lot of miles and you want to be in a fairly upscale vehicle, and You are willing to pay attn to the things a diesel needs on a scheduled maintenance basis, they can be highly cost effective. No upscale vehicle I know regardless of brand, wants anything but premium to run correctly, and no upscale vehicle I know that needs it in the 3 seat category gets more than say 20 MPG on a good day consistently, and usually around 15-16 in daily errands driving if they are being totally honest. For us, we take 5000 mile trips 3-4 times a year and easily drive 600-700 miles a day. Either of my top 2 vehicles can do this with one or NO fuel stops. I do all my own maintenance, oil changes, fuel filter changes, Easy DEF Fills. My wife's JAG factory recommended oil changes are 20K! ( I do 10k just because..). All in all , like you say, this is just me, and suits me the best...

The Yukon Denali (Or Tahoe or Esky..) with the Duramax, I believe, will be one of the last great Diesel SUV's produced, as we slide into the EV funnel chute by all makers. That 150K oil belt doesn't scare me a bit, and I'm gonna get me one if I can...

Jim Meehan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM does now offer an extended warranty that they underwrite themselves. For GMC and Chevy, it extends the basic warranty to 5 years / 60K miles. For Buick and Cadillac it's 6 years / 72K miles. See here: https://www.chevrolet.com/protection-plans/extended-limited-warranty

Note in the "Key benefits include" section it specifically says "Backed by General Motors, no third-party involvement."

Caveat though: "Not available for vehicles sold in California, Florida, Maine, Minnesota."

I also think it's worth mentioning that with any extended warranty, you're betting against a company who has a lot more data than you do, and you're unlikely to come out ahead. From Consumer Reports:

"No matter the exact type, extended warranties are an investment in peace of mind that limits financial risk for a set period of time. But beware: A CR member survey conducted in 2013 showed that car owners typically paid more for the coverage than they got back in direct benefits. This isn’t surprising, because extended warranties make a lot of money for those who sell them."

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"No matter the exact type, extended warranties are an investment in peace of mind that limits financial risk for a set period of time. But beware: A CR member survey conducted in 2013 showed that car owners typically paid more for the coverage than they got back in direct benefits. This isn’t surprising, because extended warranties make a lot of money for those who sell them."

This is exactly what I have been saying for going on 40+ years now. Sure, sometimes the cost of the plan is exceeded by the warranty repairs but like Vegas gambling, the odds are always in the favor of the warranty seller. Plus, most of the time, when buying a new rig and financing the vehicle cost, the buyer rolls the extended warranty in to the financing and ends up paying more for the plan. I have said it here before, if you are going to own any vehicle, you need to set money back each and every pay day and build a fund to take care of maintenance and repairs and be religious about the maintenance and in the long run, your odds of coming out ahead are greater.

I don't care about people's habits but each paycheck people set money back for eating out, cigs, pot, liquor, Starbucks....etc. People have their priorities. Mine just happen to involve saving money back for my vehicle and I know lots of guys and gals do the same here at the forum.

Don't get me started on guns....that is a Christmas present every month, in and of itself.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended warranties have to make money for the seller, or they couldn’t offer them. They are the same in every respect to any other type of insurance. If nothing really big happens, then you are a marginal loser in the transaction. If something big happens (less likely), then it pays to have the coverage.

All everyone participating in any insurance pool is doing is spreading risk.

When an insurer stops offering coverage for a particular risk pool, or the cost of the premium seems outrageous, it is because the risks can’t be adequately spread.

Nexus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been trying to find some information on the new Yukon diesel Duramax from people who own them.

There are many videos out there but mostly from dealers. Some say their good and some say their bad. Not to get the diesel.

I want to try to find some information from people who own them how they perform what they do under a load towing.

My own dealer says don't buy it he's never sold one or ordered one for anyone that wanted it. It's a mistake you

will have a hard time trying to get rid of it later.

I've had two excursions with the 7.3 diesel. I know this is nothing like that.

I want to order a 2022 Yukon with the Duramax but I'm on the fence right now trying to decide.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My biggest worry would not be the power and reliability of the diesel but where you live and how crazy the powers that be are about even allowing diesel fuel down the road. Here in Oregon, if they pass the bills in the link, they want to start phasing out diesel starting by 2023 and completely gone 5 years after that.

If you are considering a diesel, I love 'em, make sure you research what your state has planned.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the diesel drive like compared to the 6.2? Does it feel quicker or accelerate faster off the line with the line?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094