Center cap not fitting new wheels - lug nuts too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No. The threads are for the plastic black covers that thread on to the outside of the lug nut. You can use these too. Don't worry about the plastic covers since your center caps will cover them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ What @PNW VietVet said. The earlier stock caps had plastic nuts that screwed onto the outside threads of the lug nut, like the pic below. Your caps probably have some kind of spring clip to capture.

s-l1600.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
s-l64.jpg

They can also be individual caps like these that thread over the lug nut and then the stock wheel will have a smaller center cap that does not cover the lug nuts. The pic that @Fless posted is a design that IMO is a PITA to work with. I dealt with these on my vehicles and in my shops and more than once came close to throwing them against the wall.

OP
OP
C

Chooch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First of all, this forum is awesome! I got my hands on some OEM lug nuts that should fit. The guy who sold me the wheels had them spare.

Second, I do have a question...

As the caps are off, I am taking a look. My rear wheels don't have a center bolt and the front do. What is that?

PXL_20210106_215436626.MP.jpg PXL_20210106_215428015.MP.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The front is the threaded stub of the outer cv joint that is sticking thru the front hub bearing and the nut is there to hold it all tight. There is a shaft and an inner cv joint that splines into the front differential gears. That means you have 4wd. At the rear you are seeing the center cap area of the rear axle flange and there is no cv joint there but the other end of the axle is splined inside the rear gears.

OP
OP
C

Chooch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The front is the threaded stub of the outer cv joint that is sticking thru the front hub bearing and the nut is there to hold it all tight. There is a shaft and an inner cv joint that splines into the front differential gears. That means you have 4wd. At the rear you are seeing the center cap area of the rear axle flange and there is no cv joint there but the other end of the axle is splined inside the rear gears.

Thanks! So you're saying my wheels aren't going to fly off? :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nope! You’re good!

That being said, this is the first time I remember a guy posting a problem here and found out the cause was their nuts were too big!:eek:

Yea, it's a curse.

Thanks! So you're saying my wheels aren't going to fly off? :)

Not unless you drive it like you stole it and do "Dukes of Hazard" jumps with it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Congrats on the 20’s and resolving the lug issue. They 20’s set the truck off. Keep an eye on your tire pressure for the first few months. The majority of the rims pulled from originally equipped vehicles are susceptible to the chrome clad peeling at the bead and the cause of slow leaks.

A good deal on OE 20’s may be a telltale sign, hopefully not. Now you can recoup your costs and sell the other set of rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick