Considering Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265/70/18 vs. Falken ATW4 275/70/18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to get new tires for my 2010 Avalanche. I've got a 3" lift and currently have Pirelli Scorpion AT+ 265/65/18 (they suck, bad decision). I've run this size tire forever bc anything larger rubbed against my automatic running boards. I've since been able to shift the running boards a little to give more room so I want to go slightly larger for my next set. My son has a 2011 4Runner with Nitto Terra Grappler G2's at 275/70/18 that look and perform great. Back when I was doing work on both vehicles at the same time, I put his wheels on my truck to see if they would fit. They rubbed just a tiny bit inside the wheel well, but nothing a heat gun and some bending couldn't take care of. So I figured my next set would be exactly what he has because I really like the look.

However, the tire shop I use doesn't have them in that size. I can't even find that size on Nitto's website so I don't even know if they make them anymore. They do have 265/70/18 which according to a tire calculator is .6" shorter than his tires. Am I really gonna notice that .6" difference? My alternative is Falken ATW4 in 275/70/18 for about $200 more and from a different place.

Any experience or thoughts about either? I'm really trying to tell myself that I'm gonna notice the $200 I save way more than the .6" difference.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have experience 1st hand with the Nitto's, though they are a good tire, I am a firm believer in the Wildpeaks. I have them on my tahoe now and they are hands down the best all terrain ive ever driven on...bfg at included in that mix. they are so good in the snow, i rarely even need 4wd now and i live on a hill which my wifes car gets stuck on in the snow, i can do it in 2wd with no slipping

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Nittos on my yukon and they have been a very good tire so far. I think you'll be fine with either. And, you're not going to see .6" difference in size. Go with what works for the wallet and requires less fussing around

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as things would go I ended going with something totally different. I read a good review online on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and how they were essentially improved Terra Grappler G2's. Tire shop had a set of those in 275/70/18 and price matched another local shop, so I ended up going with that. Spent the weekend trimming and bending the inner fender liners to "close enough." They are very close to the running boards too, but it's just plastic so it should be ok.
So far they feel very bumpy with a little vibration, but I've only been around town and haven't gotten them up to highway speeds yet. Here's a before and after. Top picture is the old 265/65/18 and bottom is the new 275/70/18.

Tires.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar