2017 AC Clutch Not Engaging, Bolt Holding Clutch Cap Backed Out..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhhjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is an odd one but I hope it helps someone. AC stopped blowing cold air. While the engine was running I checked to see if the clutch was engaging. Nope.. External pulley spinning with the belt but internal clutch was not. Then I looked closer and saw that there was a 1/2 in gap between the clutch cap and the pulley. I reached down (engine off of course) and pushed on the clutch cap and it magnetically popped back flush against the pulley. Started the engine and now the clutch engages, compressor compresses and cold air blows. The 10mm bolt in the center of the cap that holds it in place had come out and at some point, the cap backed out on the spline just far enough that the clutch couldn't engage. Probably due to hitting a pothole or speed bump too fast (wife's car, 'nuff said). Replaced the 10mm bolt with a lock washer and Locktite and all is well. Tightening the center bolt on the clutch cap is not so easy since it free spins unless the engine is running and the AC compressor solenoid closes. One method is to get an OBD2 scanner that can close the HVAC Compressor solenoid (I have the Foxwell NT530 which will), or what I did was to clamp the cap with some extra large vice grips ($15 at Tractor Supply) as you tighten the bolt with a socket wrench. Didn't even have to remove any hoses to get the vice grips in place.

Sorry, no pictures but hope you get the idea. There should be a bolt in the center of the AC compressor pulley clutch assembly hoding the cap in place flush against the clutch mechanirm. The cap is magnetic and is required to get the clutch to engage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo