Catch Can ****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I really wonder if I could just drill & tap the bottom of the cup (probably install a quick disconnect nipple) and have that connect with a hose to a bigger simple container that can sit on the battery box. Like a gallon of milk or Amsoil 4qt jug. These catch cans are in vacuum, correct? If so, then I’ll have to keep it from venting when the engine is on. I know that the manufacturer of the Yukon’s aluminum catch warns that freezing wx could cause their cups to crack open if not emptied. I just don’t want to dump this thing every few days.

Caffeine fueled posting; I do this often.
Sorry :jester:

I have been using these cheap ones i get off of amazon.
They fit this really nice morso mount, so i keep buying them. :)

They have a bolt on the bottom, but it's this funky metric thread.

When i installed it on my Tahoe, i decided i wanted to try drilling the hole out and attempt to thread it for pipe thread.
That allowed me to use a standard drain.

It went ok, I didn't quite have the correct drill bit to make it work.
but any slop that was there, I filled with a mixture of red Loctite and some creative staking from inside of the can.
Luckly it also has a removable bottom... ;)

The can I keep buying (3 total now).
This thing is available from many different sellers and under different brand names.
No baffles in there, so I made my own.
Then topped off with some stainless-steel scrubbers near the top

For the intake side, I ran some tubing to get the vapors under the baffles and mesh.
Left plenty of room for a chamber for the fluids to sit at the bottom.

Nice part is the can itself is very thick.
Base and top, plenty of meat.
Very easy to do your own thing with.
And the bottom and top are completely removable from the main can.
Bad part is the shape of the top.
Takes space, so it must be mounted somewhat low.

I got creative and spent hours on it... lol
Skip this can unless you like tinkering with crap. :jester:

If you do go with it, shop around on ebay and amazon.
Lots of these are the exact same one
Prices and brand names vary like crazy.

This is the Mount I like.

Installed on my hoe,
1645284525634.png

Used hardline since i had a big roll of it handy.
the red stuff serves to keep things from rubbing together, and my flex joints.

On my wife's car, I got creative with some aluminum stock from my local hardware store.
Buick enclave with the 3.6.
Very tight under the hood!

I ended up breaking out my rivnut gun and mounted it underneath the windshield wiper area.
Right next to the master cylinder...
(Sealed the fk out of the rivnut install)
It was really the only space that would be easy to check, and access from the topside of the car... :jester:

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a smallish catch can. Holds about 8 oz. We get about 2 oz every 10,000 miles from it. Doesn't have h2o in it, but smells like gasoline. View attachment 363081
View attachment 363082
View attachment 363083

Really stupid question: do you put the steel scrubber above or below the circular baffle in your catch can? I have the same catch can on my 2013 Escalade and am fitting one to my wife's 2008 Equinox. I want to put steel scrubbers in both of them.

Thanks!

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really stupid question: do you put the steel scrubber above or below the circular baffle in your catch can? I have the same catch can on my 2013 Escalade and am fitting one to my wife's 2008 Equinox. I want to put steel scrubbers in both of them.

Thanks!
Above it.
It helps the any oily mist/vapor to drop out and become a liquid in the bottom of the cc.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wonder if I could just drill & tap the bottom of the cup (probably install a quick disconnect nipple) and have that connect with a hose to a bigger simple container that can sit on the battery box. Like a gallon of milk or Amsoil 4qt jug. These catch cans are in vacuum, correct? If so, then I’ll have to keep it from venting when the engine is on. I know that the manufacturer of the Yukon’s aluminum catch warns that freezing wx could cause their cups to crack open if not emptied. I just don’t want to dump this thing every few days.

The PCV circuit is a vacuum. It pulls on the driver side valve rocker cover from the intake manifold.

Having the catch can gravity drain into a larger container won't hurt anything. It'll just give you more capacity.

They work by filtering, plain and simple. The oily air flows from the rocker cover to the intake manifold through a pipe. The catch can goes inline of this circuit. The oily air goes into the catch can and the oil droplets stick to the media while the air continues on through and out of the catch can and on into the intake manifold. The oil droplets in the media collect with other droplets (coalesce) and become too heave to ride the airflow so they dip down into the reservoir. Any airflow just skims right over the collected oil. It's like holding a shop vac over a puddle of water- nothing really happens until you get the end right at the surface of the water or stick the end into the water. A remote container would just be like having a larger reservoir on the catch can itself.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got home about an hour ago. 550 miles expressway since I drained it a couple days ago. I’m guessing 3oz here?

View attachment 363151

Mine will look like that sometimes in the winter time. I don't use any media in my canister. I tried it and it didn't seem to make a difference and it makes it twice the mess it has to be when you have to empty it out. Works just fine empty for me. Just be glad that stuff isn't getting sucked back into the intake.

As long as your dipstick & underside of the oil cap doesn't look like that I wouldn't worry about it. I think it is a condensate thing strictly to do with the catch can setup.

Reaction score
As long as your dipstick & underside of the oil cap doesn't look like that I wouldn't worry about it. I think it is a condensate thing strictly to do with the catch can setup.
Yup, in colder weather hot oil vapor from engine going into cooler external catch can will have more condensate (water) in it.

I wouldn't worry about it

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming it is a real good thing that these cans are extracting the moisture from the crankcase? I know airplane guys run dehumidifiers (basically fish tank pumps that push air thru desiccant) in order to preserve their motors from corroding during non-flying time.

Reaction score
I just emptied mine. I empty it at oil change and halfway through the oil life monitor.

It's been 4 months (Oct. 10th) and 2410 miles since my last oil change. I do 5000 mile oil changes. Oil life monitor is saying 48%

This is a kids Olive Garden cup. The bottom half of what's in the cup is water..... 20220220_164201.jpg
20220220_164247.jpg
20220220_164229.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid