Buying 2016 vs 2015 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shipyard

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post. I’m a Silverado guy from 2003-current. Now with kids and wife we sold the minivan we had for 8yrs and ready for a Suburban.

I’ve been looking at 18 and 19 Suburbans for quite a while and they are all used rentals mostly white and black. I’ve recently found a much nicer looking metallic bronze 2016 that was a personal vehicle with only 20k miles! However there’s no included CPO warranty.. so I think it could be more of a risk. Besides the potential Buffeting , were there any other issues to look out for on the 16s that were common on the 2015s?

Not sure why the previous owner decided to sell after so few miles....

If I can’t get this cheaper for being a 2016 regardless of the low miles, Ill hold out for a CPO 19.. I’ll love it more it’s the right color, but the CPO warranty seems like it could be worth it on a newer one. Thanks!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test drive it and check to make sure everything is operating properly. If you are worried about a CPO warranty then just purchase a GMPP extended warranty and you will be covered, there are GM Dealers that sell the warranty at discounted prices depending on which state you live in(Fl. & N.C.-no discount). If the vehicle is at a GM Dealer see if they will certify it but they are going to charge more for the vehicle. Carfax is a must and that should show the original selling Dealer, you may be able to get service records from that Dealer. Good luck.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the buffeting has yet to be worked out.

make sure to test drive the vehicle... bring the whole family
if anyone has sensitive ears , they will know if that particular vehicle has the issue or not.

make sure to try as many road types as possible & speeds btwn 25-75 (or so)

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah one main reason I can think of as to why one was traded in at 20K is the buffeting issue. Research that and check the truck well.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would get a 2019 CPO in a heartbeat. As far as rentals go....I have [as well as family members and friends] bought several rentals though the years [with CPO Warranty] and all were perfect. Never had to use the CPO warranty. All had entire service records plus had all of them checked out by a independent mechanic before signing the paperwork.

As far as issues go on the 2015-2017 just skim though the General DiscussionEngine& Drivetrain and the Interior areas.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test drive them all with a full crew. The Buffeting is not confined to one year and NOT ALL do it....

I would not hesitate to buy an ex-rental Suburban.... They are not abused like a Mustang GT convertible

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an x-rental Suburban. It looked perfect. The only reason I know it was a rental was because of the Carfax. 3rd rental vehicle I've purchased. Will probably do again.

I've put over 60k miles on this year group. over 40k on a 2015 Tahoe. Over 20k on this 2017 Suburban. Fantastic rigs. The only way I'll get rid of this current Suburban would be to get a RST or 2500 Suburban...because I want the bigger motor

Buy it, you'll love it

OP
OP
Shipyard

Shipyard

Reaction score
It’s pristine. No buffeting. Seemed flawless on the records too . It’s at the same dealer where the original owner got it and took it in for recalls and oil changes. The last owners name was on the records and after some googling it looks like this is a local Army guy that only lives 4 miles from the base here. I’m betting it’s the same person. So that’s only like 12k total miles over 4-1/2 years for work. Explains the low miles. I doubt it was a kid hauler cause it’s way to clean. I put a deposit. Gotta go back for the loan paperwork. I need to check apple car play too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts