Buying 2016 vs 2015 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Edge tuner instead of the Range. I've read too many issues about the Range to ever consider using it. The Edge is about $300 all in. Completely different vehicle on level 3 (87 octane still) and you can turn that idiotic AFM off as well.

OP
OP
Shipyard

Shipyard

Reaction score
Thanks Tylus, I’ll check that out. Im still excited about the color. It’s called Brownstone Metallic.

I’m also thinking K&n 77 CAI kit in the near future to get it sounding great too. I tried to drop in KN on my truck years ago and it wasn’t much difference.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want some noise that isn't horrible, I really recommend cutting the muffler off and just putting a 24" piece of pipe in there.

Personally I don't do intakes anymore. They're pretty much good for nothing without tuning. And all they cause is extra noise. That $350 (or more) can be better spent on other mods IMO.

I straight piped mine and love it. LEAVE THE RESONATOR ON!!!! I had previously put a Magnaflow muffler on my 2015 Tahoe and this 2017 Suburban. It was a little bit louder. The straight pipe sounds amazing, and really levels off once you hit cruising speeds on the highway. We have 4 kids riding in the back and they can barely hear the exhaust with windows up and going 80 mph. Everyone knows you have a V-8 under the hood when accelerating. But you don't get the stupid loudness levels like a Flowmaster sounds like.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want some noise that isn't horrible, I really recommend cutting the muffler off and just putting a 24" piece of pipe in there.

Personally I don't do intakes anymore. They're pretty much good for nothing without tuning. And all they cause is extra noise. That $350 (or more) can be better spent on other mods IMO.

I straight piped mine and love it. LEAVE THE RESONATOR ON!!!! I had previously put a Magnaflow muffler on my 2015 Tahoe and this 2017 Suburban. It was a little bit louder. The straight pipe sounds amazing, and really levels off once you hit cruising speeds on the highway. We have 4 kids riding in the back and they can barely hear the exhaust with windows up and going 80 mph. Everyone knows you have a V-8 under the hood when accelerating. But you don't get the stupid loudness levels like a Flowmaster sounds like.

I would not recommend doing that in Virginia. We have state inspections and roadside emissions in Northern Virginia that apply to any vehicle (not just those registered in NOVA).

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend doing that in Virginia. We have state inspections and roadside emissions in Northern Virginia that apply to any vehicle (not just those registered in NOVA).
Straight piping is legal in 50/50 states

you aren’t touching the emissions system. Just removing a muffler and raising the decibel levels exiting the exhaust

even better, it cannot affect your warranty

OP
OP
Shipyard

Shipyard

Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn’t going to change the exhaust right now but I’ll look into straight pipe. I put magnaflow dual exhaust on my truck and like that.

I figured for the quiet suburban the intake louder sound would only be noticeable when really giving it gas.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight piping is legal in 50/50 states

you aren’t touching the emissions system. Just removing a muffler and raising the decibel levels exiting the exhaust

even better, it cannot affect your warranty

My recommendation would be to consult the SEMA web site which lists the vehicle noise laws for each state and has a pretty good map. The url is: https://www.semasan.com/resources/exhaust-noise-laws-state