Brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drug my 6000lbs boat down the 5800ft hill today for the first time and halfway down the brakes started heating up and my foot kept going further to the floor, yes I have trailer brakes and they were working, I'm looking for an upgrade to be on the safe side.

I searched the forum but didn't come up with any results.
I know that Baer and EBC exist and probably have upgrades, but does anyone have firsthand experience with a kit that delivers results?
use the engine braking that is what it's for

Last edited:

13BurbanKid

Reaction score
The current and best upgrade using Brembo 6 piston calipers from the CTS V carbon ceramic set up with standard pads and standard iron discs is here …

https://ctsvbrakeswap.com/products/gm-truck-suv-6-piston-c6-zr1-caliper-big-brake-bracket-kit

20" minimum rims needed. The issue is that the 16" discs that Centric / Stoptech manufactures for GM are on back order due to COVID related shipping and manufacturing delays. I have not looked into purchasing the same disc as an OEM part from GM # 84263238.

The calipers are massive C6 Corvette ZR1 Monoblock units made by Brembo for the 09-13 ZR-1 Vette with carbon discs. I'm waiting on the discs to come in from Stoptech to install the kit. I already shelled out the $9h for new calipers. I went with this kit because of the massive discs. This kit is essentially a clone of the factory BBK for 2015+ vehicles listed for $2.6K here …

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-and-gm-team-up-on-performance-front-brake-kit

The kit allows standard and less expensive ZR1 mono block calipers to be used with an adapter instead of Brembo's proprietary kit made just for the offset of the GM / Chevy / Cadillac trucks.

I have already purchased this kit to put on my truck once I go to the 26's. Believe it or not TireRack had a pair of these rotors in Delaware and I got them. I searched for days trying to find them. Once I get my wheels and drop kit I will be doing the brake upgrade at the same time.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You happen to know the company's name?

I bought them from a member on another forum.

But I will be selling them soon since I'm going another route.

New, never mounted with all new hardware...... LMK if you're interested

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a daily I say some quality rotors, EBC YellowStuff pads, stainless braided lines and DOT3 flush and done.

Everything mentioned above I have on my PPV right now. Best brake set up I've had in a full size SUV outside of a full blown big brake kit

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Good thread, all the upgrades on rotors and calipers are certainly a big help, big change. BUT
break fade is often from old break fluid that has absorbed water.
Have you completely flushed the break fluid in the last two years?

I've only owned the car for 8 months, guess that's next on the list

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
I bought them from a member on another forum.

But I will be selling them soon since I'm going another route.

New, never mounted with all new hardware...... LMK if you're interested

I'm interested, if you can find out who made them and if they have any instructions on the web.

It's my daily and don't want it to be down while waiting for parts

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stoptech rotors and pad kit for the "towing" .. I think they call it Z-23 or something
would be right on for a daily driver that you don't want to spend a mint on.
Do the front and rear... Flush/bleed your brake system completely so you get
out the old water and contaminants. Then do another bleed in a few weeks !!
I doubt you need a $2500 braking system for a daily with occasional towing

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, if you can find out who made them and if they have any instructions on the web.

It's my daily and don't want it to be down while waiting for parts

Sure it was from a member on the SilveradoSS forum that makes them. Let me find the link for you. If you feel good with it, I can ship them to you on Friday.

Definitely a quality part, nice weight, feel and fit/finish.

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohccammer427