'02 Tahoe with '10 Tahoe PPV front brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasted a year of my life dumb with '02 OE front brake kit; driving around afraid, braking early / cowardly, missing Caprice 9C1 / PPV brakes like dear ol' pals.
Is a life lived without any regret really fully lived? Still, every regret sucks. I regret settling.

Haven't even finished breaking them in yet; they already put my barely-one-year-old '02 front brakes to shame, highlighting my hesitance as ignorance.

Y'all, if you have a GMT800, it's this simple:
ask the parts counter person for the front caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, and pads for a 2010 Tahoe / Suburban.
Didn't even need any part numbers.

Won't even consider drinking anything while driving for fear of spillage before this Saturday (today's Tuesday).

Will still rip on people for not getting a pcm / ecm / tcm tune - but upgrade the front brakes first.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is more commonly known as the NNBS brake upgrade.

The middle sticky at the top of this section.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got stock brakes in my 99 Silverado NBS. They seem adequate. Not the greatest, but also not inadequate or anything. Bought the truck with like 88k in 2008 and now almost 270k, recently replaced the second set of front and still sporting the original rears. Driven the truck all over the US even once went to the Sierra Madre Sur mountains in Southern Mexico.

Yeah, NNBS front brake upgrade is an improvement, and you can also do like the '19 upgrade as well. Maybe one day I'll do that after I swap my K2xx rear axle because it has larger rotors requires you to run larger wheels.

Edit: look at doing a hydro boost swap to get even better braking power.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got stock brakes in my 99 Silverado NBS. They seem adequate.
Not the greatest, but also not inadequate or anything.
I also have stock brakes on my '02 Tahoe ... from a '10 Tahoe.
They have redefined adequate.
They are also not the greatest, but less inadequate than the '02 Tahoe front brakes I wasted money buying a year ago.
If your're upgrading to GM OE 4piston calipers, you may not need HydroBoost braking (says the guy who upgraded his front brakes).

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think the '02 Z71 came with 265/70R17 (could be wrong), whereas the rest came with 265/70R16 or 245/75R16.
I'm sure that when I bought it off whomever, it was wearing 265/65R18. I've since replaced those with 255/70R18, then 245/60R18.

Yes, GMT900 front brakes definitely require 17" wheels for sure.

Update:
There may have been something wrong with my previous '02 OE front calipers.
Used to drive to proactively avoid panic stops and surprises. Not anymore.
Used to barely be able to ABS on dry road if ever at all. Not anymore.
Still breaking in these front brakes, from 85MpH-to-10MpH on the highway, 40MpH-to-5MpH in the 5 boroughs, space permitting.
Did not test prior front brakes, just drove like I was driving around with 3 motionsick riders, out of fear.

I can now get the ABS going at will INSTANTLY if I so choose.
Better yet, the brake feel is so much more precise, I can now modulate them with a resolution that reminds me of the Holden Caprice 9C1.

To paraphrase my opening post:
Those of you who haven't had your pcms tuned yet, I respectfully suggest you are mistaken.
That said, I feel the same way about the front brakes, except much more so.
If you don't have 2010 Silvierrado / Subesctahlurbanadoe front brakes on your GMT8xx ...

If you have a GMT8xx, you damn well ought to upgrade to GMT9xx front brakes at your first opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts