Bought Tahoe with TBs Cranked, How bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bilstein 24-186643 - Wrong mount types for a GMT400, this one is for a NBS...

I've seen where some have said that a TB crank on my truck would benefit from a little bit longer shock than OEM, and I believe the 4600's are. Going with the 4-6inch 5100's that fit OBS will bottom out with out a lift kit.

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the ride quality is the nature of the beast. Curious, what shocks did you run on yours? Gonna have to order mine soon.

Just have to decide to keep the rake or tone it down, then time to align it.

I don't know if this helps but, I replaced the Bilsteins on my barn find, with a set that was suggested to me.

KYB Excel-G 344266

I also own a 96 ExtCab Silverado & the pickup's ride was much more comfortable until I switched to these on my 96 Yukon.

I really like them. they were a great price, and the truck is still tough, but a lot nicer for my back on long or short trips.

I had been running them on 265-75-16s. Then I tried them with 305 70 16.
I found the dampers had good ability with both the highway tire and the M/T.

I'll be mounting a 285 75 16 hybrid tire this weekend for a road trip with mixed driving. I think they'll do well.

F2915416-FD7C-445C-8DBA-9D105601E3BA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Tardis, I might have to look into the KYB's.

So here is my issue now. I installed the rear 5100's, no problem. Got the old shocks out of the front. I took the Bilstein 4600 for my front and put in the top bolt. When I went below to hook up the bottom I found that the shock was fully extended, and only needed to come up maybe a 1/2 inch to fit in the lower bracket. That is with my truck just sitting on the tires, not jacked up or anything.

I'm thinking there is no way I can run these 4600's (part# 24-104050). They will have to top out over just about every bump. What options do I have?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Length-wise, how did they compare to the ones you removed, assuming those were the original Bilsteins.

It’s the same part number that I have on mine. I didn’t pay attention to how much slack it had in it before installing, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Length-wise, how did they compare to the ones you removed, assuming those were the original Bilsteins.

It’s the same part number that I have on mine. I didn’t pay attention to how much slack it had in it before installing, though.

They were exactly the same, I thought they would be a little longer. For downward travel, what shoul be the limiting factor? Metal on metal stop, or the shock?

I would think neither is a great idea, but maybe it's supposed to be the shock? I would think the socks wouldn't last long that way though.

I jacked up the frame till the upper control arm hit the stop. The frame didn't even go up an inch.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d think that the bump stop on the LCA would be the limit with the tire going up, but not sure about it going down. I’d guess it’s the UCA hitting the bracket, but never have paid attention when jacking it up.

I have about an inch, maybe inch a and a quarter, clearance below the UCA and about the same from the bottom of the bump stop to a line across the top of the dimple that it would go into on the LCA.

cd279c2ef6640d272c6065afe24863b1.jpg

cc97548a46a64fe6b3439de86c5feeaa.jpg

7e606f52faa58a42d3c554e88efe93f0.jpg

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics east302!

I'm gonna guess it's just the way it's supposed to be, I'm just cranked up to much to have much down travel left.

When set to factory z height there must be enough down travel that it would rarely hit the bottom end of the travel. At my current setting I think I will top it rather often.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z height on mine is 7”, it’s roughly leveled

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein for the win. There is no question that they're the best shocks for our trucks available. It's my opinion that if Bilstein corporate gives advice, it's the rule.

I'll be checking my Bilsteins on my Z71 truck for fluid leaks and if I find that, I'll replace them by axle location.

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fastpat, Do you know what Bilstein model or part number your running on the front of your Yukon? How much crank on your TB's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE