Bought Tahoe with TBs Cranked, How bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm doing both. I already have the Bilstein 5100's installed on the rear. I also swapped out the 2.5"blocks in the back and put in 1.5" blocks.

Here's a shot with the above done, uncranked six turns on the adjustment bolts. This gives me a Z height on the front of 6.5" (Stock being 6" - 6.4") Dropped the front just over an inch. No front shocks installed. You can see the level just under the truck that was on the ground on the other side.
snFjkmKl.jpg

I'm not sure if this is to much rake at the moment. Measures 36-1/4" at front wheel wells, and 38 at the rear. The rear wheel wells are an inch lower on the body, so that's 39 in the back. That leaves a 2.75" rake.

I went ahead and ordered the Rancho 7000's (RS7152) for the front. I'm convinced they should be the best for the front. I still have the Bilstein 4600's just so I can compare them before I return them. I'm also leaving the Bilstein 5100's in the rear, I find no real difference between them and the Rancho 7000's as far as the rear shocks go.

Hopefully I'll get the Rancho 7000's on the front Thursday and play a bit more with torsion bars before I get it aligned Friday. Not sure if the Rancho shocks will cause the front to lift just a bit, so I'll wait till their in to finalize the front height. I can't decide if I like the current rake, or going to crank back up one or two turns. I should be under 7" Z height reguardless, which is better than the 8" Z height I was at.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein for the win. There is no question that they're the best shocks for our trucks available. It's my opinion that if Bilstein corporate gives advice, it's the rule.

I'll be checking my Bilsteins on my Z71 truck for fluid leaks and if I find that, I'll replace them by axle location.

I don't think you will find fluid leaks on your Bilsteins because they are gas operated. If they have 50K miles on them, they probably need to be replaced.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will find fluid leaks on your Bilsteins because they are gas operated. If they have 50K miles on them, they probably need to be replaced.

Bilsteins have both oil and gas inside. There's a floating piston separating the gas from the oil, usually gas below and oil above the floating piston. The piston attached to the shaft has the valves in it. Unlike conventional shocks, Bilsteins add to your spring rate and without the factory temporary restraining strap they're shipped with, Bilsteins self extend to their maximum travel. The one's I've installed can be compressed but you really have to lean into them to move them.

The seal that the piston rod moves through will eventually wear out and leak oil, I've had them do that as well.

I removed the crap Rancho shocks on my 2004 F-350 and installed Bilsteins, I expect them to last beyond my life span, the truck hasn't broken 70k miles yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts